myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windlass failure, how to troubleshoot/remove?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windlass failure, how to troubleshoot/remove?
    Posted: 01 June 2020 at 19:39
This weekend my factory installed Quick GP2 Genius 2000 windlass stopped working.  It blew the fuse, but upon replacing it took a few turns and blew it again (the anchor was actually up and the chain slack).  Using my battery monitor, I see that it temporary pulled ~200 Amps (pulling the battery down to 12.2V) before the fuse blew).  Any ideas what is going on?

My initial thinking is a short in the motor and proceed to take things apart only to realize the bolts for the windlass seem nearly in accessible.  There is an inspection hatch inside the cabin on the bottom of the anchor locker above the v-berth but it is above a bookshelf so very limited access.  Also, it only seems to give access to 2 of what much be 4 bolts.   Anyone have experience with how to address this?  I have seen else where on the forum some suggestions of cutting a different access hole in the anchor locker underneath the windlass to give access to the bolts from the side.  Is that really the only way to do it?

can this be something else than a short in the motor?  Before I start cutting holes, any thing else I should check?

Appreciate the collective insight

Harold
SV Ventus
415/314
Boston
P&J View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 06:47
Hi Harold,

How did you go with finding access to the two hidden bolts?

Best regards
Peter
spam View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 06:07
As it turns out, the issue is they are hidden behind the bulkhead at the front of the v-berth.   In my case the bulkhead extended all the way to the bottom of the anchor locker so there was no way to access them without modification.  As posted in another tread, after much deliberation, I decided to carefully cut down the bulkhead from the inside.  The molding covering the anchor locker from the inside actually has a space between it and the bulkhead that is enough to insert a (hand) saw through.   If you cut carefully following the inner molding under a bit of an angle, the shortening of the bulkhead will not be visible since it will be hidden behind the inner molding, however once cut down, you can reach over the bulkhead through the inspection hatch that is already in the molding on the inside and loosen the remaining bolts.  Not the most fun project, but doable.  Let me know if you have questions.  Also see my responses to the other post (you should be able to find them using the search function)
P&J View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 06:13
I though it may prove to be a big job.
Did you take any photos?
spam View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 14:15
P&J View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 03:07
Thanks
cgabay View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgabay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 21:25
Hello,
Is it possible to submit some photos of where you did the additional cuts?
Thanks,

SY LUCIA
H418 #35
REY View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2022 at 11:36
Hello everyone, I need to get to the bottom of the windlass (quick  genius1000) of my 415.  Where exactly do I need to open the inspection hatch on the front cab V roof?  Can someone send me the coordinates, axis and radius of this warehouse?  Also photos of someone who opened this before would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by REY - 17 April 2022 at 11:38
Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2022 at 18:40
Hole cut the same as other and map vent used to finish
Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2022 at 18:42
Hole cut the same as other and same map vent used to finish
 Post Reply Post Reply