myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Undersized winches?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undersized winches?
    Posted: 20 April 2007 at 08:26
I noticed on a drawing from Judel/Vrolijk that the Genoa/spin winches they specified were Harken 53.2's, but Hanse is fitting Lewmar 46's. Initially I thought maybe Judels were being conservative, but then I ran the numbers through Harkens compuspec http://harkencompuspec.com/cgi-bin/cs303.exe which results in a recommendation of Harken 60.2's

Is this typical of Hanse? The 46's are probably fine for the self tacker, but if you add the 140, which is 60m2, I reckon you'd be struggling to sheet it in much over 10 kts.

The other thing I noticed is that, according to the pricelist, if you buy the electric winch, its a 40. The 40 would have plenty of power assuming you are using the electrics, but a bit small if your having to use muscle!
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 16:36
johnf,
My 400e is just completing commissioning and I'm not surprised by your observation. I would say that this is typical Hanse and it shows throughout the "finishing" aspects of the boat. Hanse has a very well constructed, rugged and fairly fast hull. My impression is that the standing rigging is fairly decent as well but when it comes to finishing, deck hardware, and small details like a secure hatch they're not as impressive. This has been commented on from time to time elsewhere in this forum and the only conclusion we can come to is that they're saving a few bucks and passing that along to the buyer. Personally, I would have paid another couple of percent more to have these aspects top notch too. I like quality!

Having said all that, I love my boat and am very pleased with my choice! We all know nothing is perfect! :)))

Cheers
Steve
Perchanse View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perchanse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 22:43
I Launched my 430e April 20 and have replaced the Lewmar 46 with Andersen 46 and added Andersen 52's  after sailing on a 40 and not being able to get the Genoa in much tighter.  Andersens have a better Ribbing and the 46ST is 25mm larger diameter on the base.  Yes, I believe they are undersized but Halyard / Mainsheet are OK.  
371-#235 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 371-#235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 19:32
Hi All,

I suspect things are different now from when I ordered my 371 (2004) but I received Harken 44's for the genoa winches and 40's for the self tacker and main halyard.

It might be because I ordered the spinnaker package not sure if you ordered that with your boats.

Bob, 371-#235

Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 08:42
Hi Guys,

Seen on Harken and Lewmar websites:

Selftailing range are 46-48-53 for Harken and 48-50-54 for Lewmar.
Of course I have seen Lewmar 46 on Hanse 430e in Blankenberge and on the 430 at the Düsseldorf boat Show.
Regarding winches size, the 46 look enough for the selftacking jib but not for the 140 genoa if you keep it over 10kt true. But by reference to the polar curve I wonder if it is necessary.
That's why As soon our 430 is commissioned we are going to sail it intensively before making any change!!!
Alain

UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

Richard108 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 04:24

Hi all

Lewmar here in Australia have an exchange program that allows new owners through the dealer to upgrade winch sizes before they are used at the cost of difference in the price of the different sized winches.

I am likely to take this option for my new 540 and upgrade the size of at least some of my winches.

Regards Richard

("Moksha" 540 #115 delivered Sept 2007)

Pittwater, Sydney, Australia
 Post Reply Post Reply