myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Philippi tank monitor (and sensors)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportswagoneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Philippi tank monitor (and sensors)
    Posted: 19 June 2020 at 22:21
So my Philippi Tank monitor TCM 1-2V seems to have ceased functioning....

Problem: The screen remains iluminated but blank with no info at all. After searching this site I have tried holding the 3rd and 4th rightmost buttons for 10 seconds+ as well as disconnecting both voltage sensing wires. All to no effect. The power for the unit is connected directly to the “Lights 1” switch on the panel along with the illumination wire. In other words: The unit is powered when it’s illuminated - and still blank.

Based on this I expect the unit will need to be replaced. This leads me to the first question:

1) Should I replace it with the TCM 4V (same type of unit but updated) or with a more advanced model like the new VTM or BTM color screen? (My priority is “overview at a glance” and “keep the installation simple” which points me to the TCM 4V...)

Furthermore I have read that the tank sensors in the Hanse 400 are on the cheap side and that the Philippi brand sensors are superior in both accuracy and reliability. Hence my second question:

2) Should I replace the fresh water and diesel fuel sensors once I’m at it? And if so: Does anyone have the specific part numbers (length) for the TGW/TGT sensors for the Hanse 400 2010 model? (It’s the “facelift” model with open transom and twin wheels.)

Bonus questions: Does anyone have the tank konstant “K” to input into the Philippi monitor to make it calculate the level correcting accurately for the shape of the tanks? (I believe the diesel tank is rectangular, requiring no K - but the shape of the fresh water tank is pretty irregular. I expect this have been input into my now dead unit - so it’s to late to retrieve it....)

2010 Hanse 400 #700 “Neste Sommer”
Sportswagoneer View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportswagoneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 17:18
Update: 

Checked my current sensors and identified the Freshwater one as a Barksdale UNS2300-ABS/G1 1/4 / VA-K. It’s sending at 5-180 Ohms. It’s marked with a manufacturing date in 2010 so I guess it’s the original.

The fuel tank sensor was not marked at all like the freshwater one. It looks like this on top:

Anyone know the brand and if it’s the original from Hanse?

...and most important: Should I be sceptical to the quality of these as compared to the Philippi ones? Or just leave them in as long as they work?

Edited by Sportswagoneer - 20 June 2020 at 17:19
pdc78 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdc78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 18:37
The fuel sensor looks like the original 'automotive style' lever float sensor which are cheap and notoriously unreliable.  I would definitely change it for a Wema or similar rod and reed sensor.  The good news is that they can be bought to be a plug replacement for your existing.  You just need to make sure you get the correct resistance range (normally European 0-180 ohm), and to get the correct length for the tank (plumb depth at the sensor hole - 25mm).  
Regards, Paul

H345 #269
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportswagoneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 23:03
Ended up reading about the new Victron Cerbo “boat central” with a touch screen and ordered it to replace the Philippi screen. Strongly suspect it’ll be more expensive and less functional for the core information - but with a lot of bells & whistles to tinker with and view over the internet. A proper new toy!

Will need to remove the old Philippi screen which seems glued(?) to the switchboard. Any tips on that? Will try a heat gun...
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2020 at 04:51
I did lots of research and decided to fit ultrasonic sender units to both the diesel and water tanks, no moving parts, nothing inside the tanks and they can be programmed to irregular tank shapes with high degree of accuracy.  I used BEP Marine TS1 units which are very cost effective connected to BEP DCSM gauge, i also used the BEP shunt and have the DCSM measuring amps and volts as well as tank levels. Suggest you check my prior post for details:

P.S. its always good to use advanced search function as almost every subject has been covered in detail at some stage on the forum.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportswagoneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 02:02
Thought I'd update this: I chose quite a different direction in the end:

I read up on Victrons GX units - specifically the new Cerbo GX which was recently launched. 

Being a bit of a geek, the prospect of having the whole setup on-line and accessible over the internet really triggered me. (I have a 4G router permanently in the boat allready.) The GX will connect to the tank sensors, any Victron BMV monitors, solar regulators, USB GPS antennas, chargers/inverters etc.

With the touch screen mounted where the Philippi used to be it looks like this:

In pure screen utility - the Philippi unit was better. Simpler and more accessible.

But the Cerbo lets me do more - both on the boat and on-line. And the dev. team at Victron are really pushing for updates. And the whole updating hassle...? I just updated the firmware of the BMV700 from home. Just pushed a button at Victrons "Remote Management Portal" which is free to use once you've coughed up for the pricey gadgets... A €50 USB GPS unit plugged right in and let me set up GEO-fencing to warn me if the boat is moved whithout my knowledge.

I swapped out the sensors as well. Went for Wema UK units since they offer an "extra high resolution" option with twice as many switches on the rod for our shallow tanks. Software for adjusting tank volume geometry is in Beta now and should be out in a few weeks!

Edited by Sportswagoneer - 05 July 2020 at 02:04
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 08:06
Ragnar,

you can send the old TCM back to Philippi. They will replace the screen and load the new software version. My neighbour got his display back within a week.

BR
Frank
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2020 at 22:36
Photos of the BEP Marine ultrasonic TS1 sender units and BEP Marine DCSM gauge.

The gauge can monitor multiple inputs including batteries, water, diesel, grey, black tanks etc. In my case its giving me engine and house battery data, diesel tank level, water tank level.

TS1 sender units have international SAE thread pattern so was straight swap out on diesel tank. On water tank the factory sender unit screwed into the tank so i had to drill and fit sender units separately, in my case at deepest part of the tank. Unit needs positive, negative and one signal wire. I reused the original sender unit wiring so no cables to run. 

TS1 ultrasonic units have no moving parts they simply pulse an ultrasonic signal that bounces off the liquid level. Units need to be configured for your tank and liquid type but retailers offer this service, i provided drawings of my diesel and water tanks and they provided the units programmed.

Units are accurate to a couple liters so incredibly accurate. 

Edited by StavrosNZ - 24 August 2020 at 11:06
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2020 at 20:52
hello 
I am a little bit to late now but we have the same problem years a go
with the Philippe TCM HANSE
After contact with Philippe Just disconect al the wire’s of the display and reconnect the problem is solved for more than 9 years now
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
spam View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2021 at 06:30
Hi sportswagoneer:

I am installling a cerbo cx as well at the moment.  What is the exact wema unit you used?  Do you know how deep the two tanks are?  

Harold
S/V Ventus 415 / 314
Boston
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>