myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking cockpit drain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking cockpit drain
    Posted: 05 August 2020 at 18:00
The sole drain in the cockpit has come a little loose resulting in a slight leak into the aft cabin.

There a two problems at the moment: one is that I can't get the hose off and wonder if any forum member has a magic trick I haven't heard of before (before I cut it and replace it) and the other is the size of the nut seen in the picture. What kind of tool do I use to tighten it? I am not even able to establish the size of it but I think the width of it is 48 mm. The hose diametre is however probably 47 mm on the outside and 38 mm on the inside.

Any advice is welcome.

Johan

Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2020 at 20:06
Hi Johan
Normally these tru-hulls have two raised parts on the inside of the metal. You need a 10 cm long and 5mm thick piece of 36-37 mm wide flat-iron which can tightly fit the inside of the tru-hull. (A piece of hard wood may also be usable). Use a wrench to turn the flat-iron (which now is down the tru-hull) and thereby fastening/loosening the thing. If the nut is turning, you need a pair of pliers to hold this while turning the flat-iron.(If pliers do not work, see the P.S.) A job for two persons, one inside, one outside.
I imagine, that the solution is to loosen the tru-hull first, and apply some Sikaflex before tightening.
:Kjeld
P.S.: There is no way to use a standard wrench to hold the nut in the photo. If you need a tool, you have to manufacture it yourself. Take a piece of flat-iron and use a grinder to make a fork which fits the dimensions of the nut. Then bend the iron in a 90 degree angle, and there you are.
(I must be tired!!! turning the flat-iron will also turn the hose, so in any case you will have to make a tool for the nut. The expensive solution is to buy a spanner in the right size at Biltema, heat it and bend it 90 degrees).
As for removing the hose, the standard practice is to heat it, maybe with the wifes hairdryer, but better with an industrial heater. Or else, if the hose has some slack, cut off the piece which cover the tru-hull, and throw these 5-7 cms away later.

Edited by Captain Cook - 05 August 2020 at 22:12
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2020 at 21:46
Hi Johan, you can heat the hose with heat gun or if you intend replacing the hose cut it down the length of the skin fitting with sharp knife. Try Stillson Wrench (pipe spanner) end on or make a tool.

Replace the whole skin fitting with a synthetic trudesign one or similar (its above waterline so not critical) and bed the new fitting using butyl tape which wont leak after time like caulking.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 11:50
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I didn't think of the drain as a trough-hull fitting but once I realised this I found the exact same nut at a chandler and thereby know the dimension etc.

Maybe it is good to know that the hose for the cockpit drain on the 342 is hidden in the box for the steering quadrant. Since my boat is tiller steered I have removed this box. If someone gets a mysterious leak it might be worth considering that it can be the cockpit drains.

Johan
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 13:56
Try soaking a tea towel in boiling water & wrapping it around the pipe.
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 11:13
While I was experimenting I made the leak worse so I had to look at the forecast to see when the next rainfall would be.

I started to make a shopping list on which a new hose and giant adjustable spanner would be some of the items but first I cut a hole in the ceiling and realised the I cut loose the nut a few turns with a slip joint plier.

This was enough to raise the skin fitting just a few millimetres from the cockpit sole.

After cleaning the skin fitting as well as I could I had a friend helping me to put Sikaflex around it while I was in the aft cabin pushing the fitting upwards and then I only had to tighten the nut again. Instead of a day's work it was done in just a few minutes and I save a lot of money.

Now what remains is to tidy up the ceiling in the aft cabin and check the port cockpit drain that is located in the cockpit locker to see if this one leaks too. If it does, it is not the same problem as with the starboard one where a leak means that the bed will get wet.

Johan
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2021 at 15:25
Our 341 developed a leak in the same manner, with possibly more significance; it was above Rene's bed.  Thankfully, we always put up a cockpit tent when we stop sailing, so the leak only revealed itself when we were washing the yacht down at lift-out. 

The plastic hose was pushed right up to the nut which prevented it from turning.  Heat from hair dryers or electric fan heaters had no effect on the thick wall plastic tubing.  Using a small hacksaw, I cut the round plastic pipe about 7mm from the end and chiselled off the loose bit of pipe.  The nut could then be turned easily with an adjustable spanner.  With a bit of persuasion (a hammer) I could move the drain up a few mm.   I did not need to cut anything to access the nut, though it was not too easy with the old spanner I had.   I then pushed Sikaflex underneath the head of the drain in the cockpit with the end of a cable tie.  On re-tightening the nut, it was good too see a uniform bead of sealant being squeezed out. 

Since then, the yacht has had about 300mm of rain on it with no leak, so it looks ok for next year.

If you do not have a large adjustable spanner, then as the nut unfastened easily, it could be worth trying a plumber large adjustable spanner initially.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2021 at 16:09
So you have had the same problem and practically solved it the same way. That is good to hear! It's nice not to have to replace the entire hose.

Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply