myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sicoflex caulking softening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterkellycork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sicoflex caulking softening
    Posted: 02 September 2020 at 20:37
I have a 2002 Hanse 371.  It has a teak deck with I believe Sekoflex caulking.   The boat is currently in the Canaries. I am only back to it after 5 months.  The caulking has become very soft in a number of places on the deck.   However the places are very uniform.  All are 45cm apart.  Does anyone know what is causing this softness on the caulking at these locations.  These is no damage in the cockpit.   When I say the caulking has gone soft it’s almost liquid and very messy to remove.  Peter
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2020 at 17:52
Do you have some pictures?
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2020 at 09:50
I am surprised that this happend after 18 years our started to get wet and dirty after 8-9 years 
Sikaflex answer me that I have used cleaner on a acid base what I did not, and that in de climate of de Med this was normal. They ware not very helpful.
This year I removed 1.250m of Sikaflex and put SIS 440 from Teackdecking systems and 2 layers of sealer-protecter 
It is a big jobs but I am happy with the result 

Edited by Wild - 05 September 2020 at 09:59
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2020 at 11:03
indeed a big job... but hey... also a big boat 🤪
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2020 at 11:43
this is pîcture  how it was with the old Sikaflex

Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
Peterkellycork View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterkellycork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2020 at 10:13
Hi Thank you both for getting back to me.  The boat is only in Spain 7 months.  Prior to that it was in Galicia in North West Spain for two year and then in Ireland for the remainder of the boats life.  Not too much heat in Ireland.  Anyway the damage is done.   What’s curious is that along the deck there is almost 45 cm of good caulk between each damaged section.  Does anyone know why this would be.   I am going to use the Teakdecking SIS440. Guys involved in this type of repair say the Sikoflex is not good enough for very hot weather.   They get no response from Sikoflex.  
I am having a problem attaching a photo at the moment.   By the way your deck looks fantastic.  
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterkellycork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2020 at 10:31

Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterkellycork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2020 at 10:34
 Post Reply Post Reply