myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydrogenerator (watt&sea) anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George_ISOTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydrogenerator (watt&sea) anyone?
    Posted: 01 October 2020 at 11:03
Hello!

I'm currently doing some research for a cruising hydrogenerator: Either the Cruising 600 or the POD 600.
Has anyone fitted such a hydrogenerator? What is your experience?

Also, in the case of POD 600 (permanent fitting behind the keel - not the "standard" fitting on the transom): Can you hear the propeller? How loud is it?

Thank you!
George - ISO Time (Hanse 470)
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 13:06
Afternoon George,

For someone that's experience hooking up of discarded fishing line/net, the last thing I thought you'd want to do is to put another potential source of 'catcher' in the water!

I'm not sure what the drag is likely to be or as you say any residual hum.  Ours has been to use the wind, no drag but certainly a whine in strong winds despite the propellers having fins on the rear of the blades to lessen the vortices and hence noise.  Of course it does mean that we have extra stainless steel frame to look at but the Rutland 1200 will produce 25w at 5m/s up to about 480w at 14m/s and then goes into a protection mode should the wind build further  (m/s x 1.94=kts).

It keeps both banks of batteries charged and as we are on a remote mooring we can't use the shore power to keep them trickle charged.  Occasionally I'll connect the engine battery by jump lead to ensure that too is kept topped up if not expecting to use NK for a while.

Good luck with your choice.

Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
George_ISOTime View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George_ISOTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 19:37
Thank you for your valuable input, Jon!
Matt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 20:38
I have a POD600 on my 445. I found it to be excellent. The recommended installation is slightly behind the keel to protect the unit from debris and I have found that effective. For that reason I favoured it over the transom mount units. On the downside you do have to keep it clean. As far as noise goes it definitely can be heard whirring away when sailing at high speeds but that said with all the other noise on a moving boat it is not that noticeable. And it might be the installation with vibration being transmitted to the hull, it was the first one my yard had installed. On the upside it is invisible to anyone looking at your boat which from a security and aesthetic view point is a good thing imo.

HANSE 445 #231 "ALBION"
George_ISOTime View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George_ISOTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 21:02
Matt, thank you for sharing your experience!
Which propeller size have you fitted?
Also, do you apply any antifouling?
Matt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2020 at 00:44
I use the 280mm and keep the standard as a spare and yes I paint both the leg and the prop although W&S suggest that is not recommended sanding to a smooth finish seems to work well.
HANSE 445 #231 "ALBION"
 Post Reply Post Reply