myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quantum Sails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quantum Sails
    Posted: 22 January 2021 at 20:51
Just wondering if anyone who has taken ownership a new Hanse recently has any feedback on the change from Elvstrom to Quantum sails?
I had the FCL sails on the 385 and after 5 seasons I was very happy with them - still holding a good shape and no delamination.
How do the equivalent Quantum AC5 sails look/perform? 
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2021 at 21:16
I suspect quantum will be quite a lot better tbh. I would say my FCL sails aren’t as good as the sails on my last boat....which is really odd as they too were from Elvstrom, were radial cut like FCL and used the same laminate cloth! I wonder if Elvstrom went “off the boil” with Hanse because it seems odd that a private buyer can be very happy with a new set of sails x yrs ago but essentially the same set yrs later, albeit more mass produced, don’t seem like the same sails or as good? Odd

Either way I’m envious of you new purchasers and your quantum sails ;)
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2021 at 21:53
Its been a long time since your local loft could make a sail for you.    Most of the manufacturing (like Elvstrom) is by robots on tables with unbelievable CAD and computer models behind that.    Local lofts can usually only service and sell.  The actual sailmaking (except for a few things like spinakers or storm sails) is usually done in 2-3 places around the world tat have this kind of equipment.  My guess is Quantums 2-3 places are just as well set up as Elvstrom's.

The FCL sails were included on our boat (a 575).   I If you got a good set of FCL sails, then celebrate that.   had heard enough bad reports about delamination and mildew that I upgraded to the HPM membrane sails.   They've been great for 3 1/2 years now.   Elvstrom is a great sailmaker, but I suspect that the Quantum sails will be as good or close.   I had my spinaker made by quantum and its been great.  
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 22:34
After my first week sailing the new boat my thoughts on Quantum sails are mixed.
For the important things they work well, nice shape and certainly seem to give good boat speed.
As first glance the light grey/ silver fabric looks smart and certainly seems tough, but when they get wet they start to look very blotchy as the wetted areas turn darker grey.
I have also had problems with the mainsail bolt rope chattering loudly against the mast with beam winds.  IMG were unable to resolve this so they brought in the guys from Quantum who attempted o take up slack in the bolt rope but it hasn't made much difference.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2021 at 12:59
Hi Stuart

I get a lot of flutter on my 418’s Elvstrom FCL mainsail which sounds similar to what you describe

If you scroll through to about 3m20 in this video you will see what I mean. Adjusting the leach line can normally eliminate it from the leach but the luff will still flutter / resonate despite adjusting the leach line or halliard tension. I’ve asked Elvstrom about it but they haven’t responded to date. I’d like to get it sorted after what others on here have posted about FCL delaminating!

grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2021 at 16:49

Nice video in my home waters - I thought I spied Fawley tower in the background.  

Many fractional boats with a self- tacker will backwind the front main in heavy winds. It used to happen on my Hunter. It feels all wrong, but it is right. The test is boat speed.  Without a reef you can semi-control it with the flattener / outhaul – if you have one. I have my leach reef lines setup so I have a degree of flattening control.

PabloR View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PabloR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2021 at 17:09
Hi Matt,

Did you get the response from Elvstrom? I have the same problem with my FCL sails (H418).

/Pawel
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2021 at 20:04
No but I’ll give them a call on Monday and report back as it seems to be getting worse

PabloR View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PabloR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:02
Hello Matt,

As I wrote before I have very similar issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DjSPFwmm5CjBueWJ6

I 've contacted local sails makers here in Poland and this is what I heard from them:
- new main sail shouldn't behave like that
- it seems that the luff is not strong enough
- to fix that the rework is needed to strengthen the luff

This is an evaluation after only seeing the movie so it might not be 100% precise.

Did you manage to get some answers from Elvstrom?
Shouldn't we make a separate forum thread about that and see if there are others having same issues?

Regards, Pawel
H418 #176 PLATIN - Gdynia, Poland
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 13:12
Hi Pawel - I had forgotten that it is the boat show so it is very difficult to get hold of anyone...unless you go to the show. I will try them again next week but my reaction is to agree with your sailmaker. My worry being that the luff and leach will have a very short life before delaminating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>