myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 18:32
Yes I plan to do this when I'm back at the boat this weekend. I don't have a load tester but I think I can measure the voltage under load on the boat?

I just received a quote from the Volvo dealer for a new MDI box should it be broken (again)..these are $800 and unreliable!

Originally posted by Sarang Sarang wrote:

It may be useful to load test the battery. Some batteries will have a normal voltage, but once it is loaded, the voltage rapidly drops, indicating it needs to be replaced.
bigcat View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2021 at 02:02
Well it looks to be another broken MDI unit.

Reading through the forums it appears even the latest incarnation (which we have) breaks:

I believe Volvo Penta is now on revision 7 of this computer, over a span of 4-5 years?
Apparently the newer engines that were part of the EPA recall run warmer to improve internal combustion and hence the MDI units are even more prone to failure.
Some recommend mounting these units on a bulkhead instead of directly on the engine (which is how VP delivers them).

I have contacted our local VP service contact and of course they don't support moving the unit because it would require modifying the wiring harness and it is not an official VP authorized procedure.

This repair is not covered under warranty, so they suggest we reach out to VP to see if they will credit the cost of the unit ($800) as 'goodwill'...

Isn't this a class action lawsuit in the making ??
Without a bypass button the engine may not start mid-sea or while entering port...super dangerous.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12