myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Repair from a hanse 418 after grounding on a rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repair from a hanse 418 after grounding on a rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repair from a hanse 418 after grounding on a rock
    Posted: 08 February 2021 at 18:07
Saw a you tube film about a repair from a hanse 418 after grounding on a rock
Great to see the repair after this unfortunate grounding.

Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2021 at 21:08
Chris who made the video on his 418 Aurora is on the forum and very helpful. Might want to check out his other videos on sailing the Swedish archipelago as stunning with many great shots of a beautiful area.
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 07:26
You don't need to hit a rock for this kind of damage, i have seen a 415 running aground @ Blankenberge
port entry ( Belgian coast ). Almost sames story.

Sad to see how fragile the construction is !
Best regards
/C
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 07:30
we did hit a sandbank near Norderney with our 370 at 7,5 knots.
No damage at all.
Only som shavings at the bow bottum wich hit the bottum because the bow went down wenn the boat stopt at the spot😳
Not even a little crack at the keel or structure off the matrix.

Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 12:52
Do I remember correctly that Hanse used to bond AND laminate the grid to the hull?
It appears instead that now they are reserving that good practice only to the bulkheads.
Still better than some constructor which use the so called counter moule covering everything, which in Aurora's instance would have meant a much invasive and expensive work.

Still, sad to see such things...

Edited by richz - 09 February 2021 at 12:52

alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 12:54
Originally posted by richz richz wrote:

Do I remember correctly that Hanse used to bond AND laminate the grid to the hull?
It appears instead that now they are reserving that good practice only to the bulkheads.
Still better than some constructor which use the so called counter moule covering everything, which in Aurora's instance would have meant a much invasive and expensive work.

Still, sad to see such things...
You remenber correct but that was at the epoxy hull ones.
I do not know if all GPR hull does also has that.
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 13:55
As far as I know Polyester hull have "just" a glued in grid since that is both Polyester and not a combination of EP with Polyester
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
andrewlambert View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewlambert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 19:37

RichZ, raised a question that I would like to know the answer too.

On the 370 non-epoxy, 2007 year, Hull #237, lead keel old fashioned windows (my boat).   The GRP strongback liner seems to have the extra material and strengthening both in athwartships frames and possibly a stringer running fore and aft, I think this might be part of the GRP strongback. 

The picture shows (I think) the standing rigging attached to the athwartships frame and the stringer is in the picture too.  

Questions

1.     Does anyone know if the GRP strongback shown in the picture is glassed into the Hull above the stringer? Or glassed in anywhere? Pretty sure is bonded, but I can not see above the outer edge as shown in the picture above the stringer.  

2.     Is the Hull ALL sandwich construction with balsa core? I have read conflicting comments  on myhanse. The Hanse brochure on “wesail” for the 2006/2007 Hanse 370  says the Hull is full sandwich construction, then I have read on this forum that its sandwich above the waterline and not below, that does not make sense to me. Appreciate if anyone knows for sure.

Many thanks in advance if anyone knows!

Hanse 370 #237 "Ginger Bay" UK, River Hamble
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 19:41
My 418 is balsa core above the waterline. I’d be very surprised if Hanse have ever built a boat with core below the waterline. It’s generally not recommended
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2021 at 13:12
There was a time when things were heavy and strong :)

Best regards
/C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>