myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spray Dodger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spray Dodger
    Posted: 08 February 2021 at 18:47
What do you recommend for cleaning my cockpit spray dodger? Was thinking of Nikwax wash . Saw an old post which suggested it could go in the washing machine but I would think that would damage the windows. 
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 14:13
For cleaning the sprayhood, we use an awning cleaner spray from Go Outdoors and then we would use their re-proofer. 

For cleaning or stopping it going green, we use Wet & Forget, purchased online.

We walked and watched birds at Elton last week, so we are local.  Where do you sail? 
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
AndySail View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 17:13
Hiya, 
Thanks for that will check if out. Our boat is on Windermere at Bowness the moment,  what about yours? We are in Holcombe Lee close to the Hare & Hounds. 
Andy 
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 19:37
I’ve occasionally put a 31’ boats spray hood in a washing machine. The windows initially go alarmingly milky but then came back good. I wouldn’t do it every winter, but probably every 2 or 3 years. Only on a 30 deg gentle wash 

I noticed when collecting some dry cleaning that my local laundrette has had a refurb and has some huge shiny new machines begging to put a big spray hood, dodgers, table cover in ;)

On the 418 I’ve used renovo (not cheap but goes a long way, so good value) The cleaner is very good and the waterproofer seemed to work well too. I cleaned the spray hood in situ on the 418 with a hose, brush and renovo and it dries quickly and came up nice and clean. I’ll paint the waterproofer on in situ too. I think renovo do coloured waterproofer so you can cover up some degree of fading 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

andrewlambert View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewlambert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 20:45
I have been recommended polish for the window pains if they go opaque too, by master covers port solent , cracking good value and quality work if canvas work is ever needed BTW , no relationship just a  happy customer 
Hanse 370 #237 "Ginger Bay" UK, River Hamble
Taylor View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2021 at 11:27
Green algae rather than mildew should be treated with a biocide not with any alkali or strong detergent.

The expensive marine equivalent is wet and forget. 

Patio Magic or Doff are two alternatives with the same basic chemical boicide ingredientsand some detergent available on line or from BandQ or The Range.

It is ph neutral.

You should still avoid ingesting it orally or nasally  or getting it in your eyes!

I bought a cheap hand pump water sprayer. Filled it up with neat Doff and sprayed this all over my Cockpit tent,Spray hood,Stack Pack and external rope lines.
Do this on a calm dry sunny day and leave to dry. 

Don't be tempted to scrub and rinse....
Within a week any algae will be dead and will simply wash off in the rain.

If you get impatient and do rinse off retreat with another dose of Doff or  "Paddy O Magic" as the biocide will then last for up to 8 to 10 months.

Don't put any water sealers or fabric reconditioners on until you have done this. 
You will seal any potential algal growth in permanently. 

I have used various different ones including the expensive stuff for rag top cars. All seem to do an adequate job at keeping the Welsh rain at bay.

Do make sure you don't overspray onto any clear panels.

Steve.

Hanse 301 Bluenote 11
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2021 at 15:36
Completely agree with Taylor's comments above.  I've used 'Patio Magic' for 4 seasons and found it works well on just about every surface where the green stuff can grow, from fabrics to teak to the sealant around windows.  Perhaps better than any of the far more expensive offerings to be found in Chandleries.

However, those same Chandleries often stock 'FabSil' which I've found to be highly effective in stopping anything growing on fabric in the first place.  I have to leave certain fabrics up top during the winter yet they still look as new in the spring, apart from the odd direct hit from a sh!tehawk though that wipes off well.  I'd stress Taylor's point again that you really must mask off any clear plastic as just about anything other than water will soon cause it to cloud.  
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
AndySail View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2021 at 00:15
Thanks folks - will give it a go with the Patio Magic! 
Roaboat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 13:23
I have used just washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush on my spray hood.
Probably not as good as the biocides but quite effective.

I am also on Windermere with my 315 but down near Fell Foot.
2007 Hanse 315 'Lyra' based in Cumbria, UK
AndySail View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 13:40
Hiya,
I used Patiomagic, it brought the algae off a treat! Now about to clean& proof it ready for boat going back in the water😀
My sister has just bought a 315 and having it brought into the lake- we need a Windermere Hanse regatta🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>