myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installation of a FwdScan transducer in a 430e

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installation of a FwdScan transducer in a 430e
    Posted: 23 January 2022 at 21:32
Interesting.   I guess I'm used to 8' tides and 4 kt currents.   :-)

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2022 at 19:29
Rick,
In the Baltic areas in general they have lots of shallow anchoarges where they go bow to the island and tie their bow lines to the island and have a stern anchor they drop on the way in. They often have bow ladders so they can drop off the bow straight into the island. The tidal range is very small. We spent about 6 weeks in the Stockholm Archipelago where there is about 50,000 islands. Most boats there tie to the shore and use a stern anchor. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2022 at 18:49
I never really understood the appeal of this device.     You certainly aren't going to use it when moving at 8 kts as you'd cover the effective range in about a second.   Even if you use it just when anchoring,  its only going to tell you what is in front of you, not what the depth is for your swing radius.    You could have 10' in front of you, but 6' either side.  Am I not seeing something I should?

I've found that a handheld transducer in my dinghy works better when I want to check out an area for anchoring.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
KjS View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KjS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2022 at 12:29
I ended up mounting the transducer in the most forward compartment in the forward cabin. The placing is 62cm I front of the standard combined speed/depth sensor. I have not observed any interference either way.

As Lykke wrote, I’m very pleased with the B&G Forward scan even though it could have had a longer range but for sneaking up in shallow water it is perfect.

Edited by KjS - 03 February 2022 at 18:16
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 22:42
A little disapointed that it is having trouble with dirty water and some soft bottoms. Also short effective range, but I would not be without it when slowly sneaking into shallow anchorages and badly mapped areas.

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
KjS View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KjS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:58
OKk - thx for your tip. Are you pleased with the result?
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:00
I mounted my forward scanner in the void behind the other speed/depth transducer. Had to cut an opening in the floor to get access. 

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
KjS View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KjS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 21:15
Hi all; 
I´m a happy owner of a 2008 Hanse 430e. I've upgraded the electronics pretty much since I brought the boat in 2019. Now I'm going to install the "last" item: A B&G FwdScan transducer. Is there anyone out there who has done this already? There is an issue with getting enough distance between the speed/depth sounder and the FwdScan transducer. I see I can obtain ~50cm distance by placing the FwdScan transducer in the most forward compartment, but will that give issues for the speed wheel as they both will be close to the center line but on different side of it? Any thoughts and tips appreciated. E.g. what is the best separation that can be obtained?

The forward compartment: (My suggested mounting spot is starboard of the centerline. 
(The bow is to the left in the picture. Centerline is where the hole to the aft compartment is located.)

The aft compartment: (The hole is the other end of the hole in the forward compartment)
(The top of picture is pointing to the bow.) 

(The pictures are taken with a wide angel lens, which distort the depth in the pictures somewhat.)
 Post Reply Post Reply