myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

575 Vitrifrigo Freezer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 575 Vitrifrigo Freezer
    Posted: 19 June 2021 at 10:42
Gentlefolk

I have a 575 Hull #82. I am having trouble with the freezer not getting below zero & using heaps of power!
My question is how does the technician get into make repair?
Is it safe to slide the unit out?
Freezer on top
2 drawer fridge below.

Regards
John
John

RANGATIRA   575. #82
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 11:51
Yes,  I did this when I installed temp sensors in the refrigerator and freezer.    You can slide it out by removing the screws in the trim panel all around.  When you slide it out, be careful as there should be slack in the power cables that allow it to extend out of the cavity its mounted in.    As you put it back, make sure this slack is maintained and available.

One simple thing you may want to check is a build up of ice/frost on the inside due to a lack of proper seal when shut.    Air laden with humidity gets in and then you have 2" of frost lining the box and its very inefficient at that point.

My freezer doesn't click on all the time, but my monitoring tells me that all three (2 refrig, 1 freezer) on our 575 are drawing (MAX) 5.5amps.   Not sure what "heaps of power" means so you probably want to measure.  

Also... the blue lights (on our Vitrifrigo) indicate the setting.   Are yours set properly?

Edited by Black Diamond - 19 June 2021 at 11:51
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Awatea View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 12:56
Thanks Rick, for your comments.

I am drawing about 7.9 ams just with fridges and freezer working. Nothing else.

I checked for frost and ice. Yes, I do have a mild build up.But seals are all good.
 Blue LED lights are correctly set.

Good to know that the unit can be pulled out. I was hoping that was the case.
John

RANGATIRA   575. #82
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 16:59
I take a bath carpet and put the unit on that to avoid scratching the sole.   Again be careful of the wires.   

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 17:42
John,

We have had our set of two fridges out (I think after Rick advised how to do it- thanks Rick) and this gets you access to the fridge and, I think, the freezer compressor.  We cleaned the air filter and the cooling fins on both the freezer and fridge compressor units which made a difference to their performance. Dust had been building up for about 6 years. We now do it yearly. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 00:02
I think you can get access to the filters from the door on the side of the cabinetry.   At least on our boat.

As an aside,    the path to run a temp sensor from the back of the refrig/freezer is obviously down the back of the cavity and then under the sole to the port of the bilge, then across the bilge,  thru the space below the settee in front of the nav station, and then up to the nav station.      Not fun.   Used a metal snake and a lot of my patience.  I strongly suggest you run a messenger first and then pull thru a new messenger and then the cables at the same time.    You might need it again someday..

FWIW

Edited by Black Diamond - 20 June 2021 at 00:02
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 09:58
I am using a cheapo wireless sensor inside the fridge from the internet. No hazzle with cable routing, just a battery change every year as part of the spring maintenance schedule.

BR
Frank
Frank
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 10:43
much smarter....     what make?

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Nelson01 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 12:46
We use SensorPush bluetooth thermometer at home for fridge and freezer(with remote wifi wich lets us know if problem when away),but I'll purchase 2 more for boat.....great idea to monitor temperature.          https://www.sensorpush.com/products/p/ht1

Marc
Marc

H508#11 UNEVIE
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 13:56
Hi Rick,
all stuff made in China.
Just google wireless temp sensor or weather station.
I am using the latter which gives me fridge via wireless, atm pressure graph and
humidity/temp in the cabin.
BR
Frank
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>