myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

575 Vitrifrigo Freezer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 08:59
Very interesting little gadget.My freezer works great until I load it up and put to sea.Then it slowly defrosts over a couple of days.I am not sure if this is because I do not keep enough charge in my batteries or there is another problem.Any this gadget will at least be able to tell me the moment it starts to go wrong.
Are they waterproof.

Cheers

Duncan
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 14:00
check the voltage on your batteries..   In some cases the batteries can power lamps and some low draw devices (including AC outlets) but there isn't enough ooomph to start the compressor on the refrigeration or freezer.    In the same vein,  inverters normally have a minimum voltage (say 11.5V) for them to work.     Generators are another indicator.     Many Hanse gen sets are connected to the house bank and if you cannot start the gen set, you are not going to run a refrigerator.

This sensor would give you notice of failure, but don't you want to prevent it in the first place?

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 14:56
Duncan,

You may want to check the voltage drop between you batteries and the freezer. I have seen on plenty of boats the cable sizing is not large enough and causes a voltage drop in this case possibly at the freezer. The freezer probably runs well on shore power because the batteries are at their highest voltage. As soon as you sail off the voltage at the batteries starts to drop and if there is a further voltage drop at the freezer performance will drop off to the point where the freezer compressor may not start. Just check the voltage at the freezer when the compressor is running and compare it to the battery voltage at the time. If there is a considerable drop you should run larger size cable. You may be able to use the original cables as pull throughs for the new cable.  
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Gale Force View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 05:19
Hi Wayne

Many thanks for your input.I will check

Cheers

Duncan
Awatea View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2021 at 12:27
hi Rick & others

Thanks so much for the advice. My lad & I took out both fridge & freezer. Gave them a good clean & they appear to be running better

Cheers
John
John

RANGATIRA   575. #82
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2021 at 07:31
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2021 at 07:40
In my case I installed a new thermostat for the freezer.
This because I wanted to use it also as fridge.
It is nice because it gives you a continuous temp feedback.
It is a simple work, the temp probe has to be changed.
The original does not work with this thermostat.

You can set and adjust the frequency of the motor on/off cycle.
This by setting the temp gap, delay on switch on etc.
Also defrost intervals can be set.

I am happy with this modification.

Last but not least with the integrared controls sometime I switch them off unintentionally while opening/closing the drawer.
SailingVoyager View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SailingVoyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 21:58
my freezer drains our battery too.

Is colder the larger bars to the right or to the left. The freezer along with the isotherm are on the sane DC circuit breaker so I can’t really use the freezer as a refrigerator because the isotherm does not have an on/off switch.  I only need one refrigerator so I rather have the freezer.  If there is a switch then please share 
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 08:50
I do not understand your problem.
The freezer shoud be a separate unit/drawer.
It has its own compressor/motor and a on/off switch together with temperature regulation.
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2021 at 09:09
I have installed a small vitrifrigo freezer in the bunk cabin of my 588. I am very happy, because I could add extremely good insulation and I have a separate space for the compressor on the top. It consumed less than 2A...therefore it doesn't heat up the cabin. 

(btw, i don't understand why pictures are always turned 90 deg here!) 😁 

Edited by Pzucchel - 12 October 2021 at 09:09
Hanse588#55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12