myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine starter panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortysails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine starter panel
    Posted: 04 July 2021 at 13:22
Hi,

Anyone have any ideas regarding the fuse layout for the 415? My engine control panel has died but all other electrics are ok. Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike

owner of Klara Anne - Hanse 415#232
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 14:19
MDI failures can cause the control panel to go dark. 
Kipwrite
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 06:36
My experience with the MDI

I had 2 times a MDI failure on our Volvo Penta D2-40, one time the panel was completely dead, the other time the engine started without touching the starter button, directly after putting the ignition on.
Now i have the upgraded one and all is fine :).
Best regards
/C
shortysails View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortysails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 08:30
thanks for replying. Unfortunately there is no power to the panel. Spent yesterday going through all the obvious stuff. Hopefully an engineer/electrician will sort it today. I'll post the outcome.

Mike

Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortysails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 06:27
Hi,

As promised here is an update on 'progress' so far.

The fault was diagnosed as the MDI. I thought it had been replaced last year under the recall scheme (I assume it was) but wasn't present at the time due to lockdown etc. I attach the engineers report which shows the faulty part (23195776) being replaced with the same part number although on the invoice it states part number 23231607. I am now trying to get to the bottom of this and will let you know as things develop.
I have read on another connected post (D40 Electrical Problems) that someone installed a bypass starter switch. Any info on this?

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike

415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 15:35
Hi Mike
If you use the advanced search here, you will find a lot of posts about MDI failures. We have an emergency start button permanently wired in, because over the course of three years we had 6 or 7 MDI failures as apparently there was a manufacturing fault in those produced then. Our current MDI is now just over 2 years old so hopefully Volvo have fixed the problem.
An emergency start button is easy to install, there are three terminals on the back of the MDI: power, start and preheat. If you run cables from the power and start terminals to a push switch, you can start the engine if the MDI has failed, turning it off by pulling on the engine mounted lever.
As the cables and switch take the full starting amperage these need to be suitably sized.
But as previously mentioned there are many, probably better, descriptions of how to do this on this forum
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortysails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 15:42
Thanks Paul,

I'll get reading and searching. Looking forward to going down to Devon tomorrow for a week.

All the best,

Mike.
Mike

Post Reply Post Reply