myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo Penta D1-30 losing cooling fluid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volvo Penta D1-30 losing cooling fluid
    Posted: 13 July 2021 at 16:47
Hi I have a Volvopenta D1-30 in my beautiful 2014 H385 however recently I have been losing the internal cooling fluid, there is no sign of leakage on the engine casing all connection are sound. I have had the heat exchanger out and acid washed (slightly crusted now as new) and pressure tested which found no leackage in any of the tubes. So I am a little puzzled. Greatful for any ideas????  
H385 #317 2014 Tivat Montenegro
pdc78 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdc78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2021 at 16:51
Have you checked the calorifier?  It could be leaks in the plumbing under the floor or that the coil in the calorifier is rotten.

Good luck, Paul
H345 #269
Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 04:58
Thanks Paul for your comment and recommendation, I am not able to get to the boat for a week or so but will check this out. In the meantime can you please explain your reasoning as I do not fully understand the connection between the engine heat exchanger and the fresh water heater under the port aft cabin. The waster heater on the boat is an Eberspacher D4 diesel fuel heater. 
Regards 
Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 05:04
Sorry Paul I was mistaken it is the "Air" heating on the boat which is from the Eberspacher D4 heater.
Regards 
Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 04:57

Thanks Paul I think you were right in your post regarding the calorifier so 

1. The intercooler is ok with no defective tubes.

On testing the engine it still lost coolant?

2. Disconnected the calorifier

On testing the engine I noted that when the reservoir cap is screwed on tight the level goes down but when the cap is left lose the liquid level remains the same. Also there is what appears to be a small amount of coolant (and maybe air) coming out of the what I would call the "breather" pipe from the top of the interchanger jacket.  I ran the engine for 1hr at tickover and then for 1 hr at 2000rpm and everytime when tighening the cap the level goes down. 

I read in one of the Volvopenta D1-30 manuals that the coolant is circulated under slight pressure, if the pressure gets too much there is a pressure relief system in the cap, could this be the problem?

My questions are  

1. Has any other D1-30 owners had this problem?

2. Any suggestions why when the cap is tight the liquid goes down and when lose stays as is?Confused

Regards

Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 20:08
Yesterday after running the engine I took the cap home to see if I could figure out the pressure relief system. Some one has posted on another forum a picture of his cap and it has a brass centre which mine dose not have?

Today I went to boat to replace the cap and to my horror the reservoir was empty. I cant believe that 1/2 3/4 ltr of coolant has evaporated over night
Regards

pdc78 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdc78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 20:20
Ian: when you say 'disconnected the calorifier' did you blank off the plumbing fittings?  It's hard to understand what exactly you are doing. Sorry, do you think it might be worth getting a marine engineer to have a look at it?
H345 #269
Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 04:09
Hi pdc78,

Simply put;

I have had the intercooler out and serviced (acid washed and pressure tested) by a reputable company. Under the pressure test there was no leakage from any of the coolant tubes. So this illiminated the intercooler as the problem. The intercooler was replaced as before with new "O" rings. 

I took the coolant pipes off the calorifier and reconnected the pipes together using suitable brass nipple fittings, this ensures the flow of the coolant round the circuit as before but bypassing the calorifier. Therefore the calorifier is no longer in the system so this is not the problem.

I have been to the Volvopenta main dealers here and they can not physically assist till mid August but they have been in consultation and support. The work has been done by a friend who is an ex marine chief engineer of 30yrs at sea. 

At the moment both main dealers and my friend are scratching their heads.

I hope this makes things clear.

Anyway thanks for your interest in the post and suggestions 

Mschesser View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 02:38
Is there any sign of water/coolant in your oil?  A head gasket leak could allow water to leak internally into the oil system.  The result would be an increase in the oil level on the dipstick, but also the oil would become very "milky" or creamy in color and consistency.  Check your oil dipstick and the oil fill cap for signs of contaminated oil.

Good luck
M Chesser, 370, “Red Sky”
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 04:51
as per last post regards head gasket either leaking into oil or is there white smoke/steam coming out the exhaust if you have a head gasket leak it can leak into oil or exhaust outlet.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>