myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage drop on stern gate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage drop on stern gate
    Posted: 14 July 2021 at 13:06
Has anyone else seen a pretty large voltage drop with the stern hydraulics?     I'm worried about the motor being potentially damaged by low voltage over time.   I know its a long run from the batteries to the stern hydraulics, but....

I've seen it drop to 11V and even 10.9V at times..  Then bounce back to where it was at 12.6V or something like that when its done its thing...

Edited by Black Diamond - 14 July 2021 at 13:12
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 15:33
I’d check the condition of the house battery bank. 

See if other big current users - winches or the windlass if it runs off the house bank - result in similar voltage drops, with a rapid recovery. House batteries might be nearing the end of their service life. 
Kipwrite
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 18:27
not the problem.      I was looking for voltage drops as part of recalibrating my systems for 6 brand new Firefly batteries.   The batteries, solar, charger, alternator, etc all check out along with settings for float, bulk, absorb, etc.  
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 19:25
Rick,

Just did a test for you- our battery bank is 600ah Victron Lithium fitted in April 2019 (4 x 150ah) , SOC at time of test according to the BMV702 was 100% with a voltage of 13.25V. Solar was inputting about +20amps net at the time according to the BMV. Voltage went from 13.25V to 13.14V during lowering and then returned to 13.23V. Raising the transom door the voltage went from 13.25V to 13.14V then quickly back to 13.23V. The BMV showed a net AMP draw of -108 amps during lowering and -112 amps whilst raising. The difference could also have been caused by solar output changes as well. Hope this helps.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 21:56
similar, but a bit lower.  

SOC showing 100%.  
Battery voltage: 12.9V
Solar: 800watts putting out 20amps to keep up with an ice maker and the refrig/freezer.   It was throttled back by the MPPT controller as the batteries were already fully charged and they just needed to keep up

Lowering the gate dropped the voltage to 12.03V.  Raising it a few seconds later dropped it to 11.94V

It the popped back to 12.9V.   I’m thinking more of a loss in wiring and not battery health given they are brand new and we’re tested a week or so ago when installed

Edited by Black Diamond - 14 July 2021 at 21:57
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 03:42
Just to clarify guys,  Are you measuring voltage drop at the pump with a handheld meter or are you measuring at the DC panel. I have to say Wayne, that one tenth of a volt drop on a 100 amp load sounds very low if you measured at the pump. I’m guessing the pump is seeing much less. And Rick, if that pump draws 100 amps, then a 1 volt drop isn’t all that bad given the gauge and length of the round trip cable run. If however, you are reading this on your DC monitor, that’s more troubling. Your house banks should be showing a minimum drop, closer to what Wayne is reporting. Just my 2 cents.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 07:15
Do you know the internal resistance of your battery? It limits the peak current it can deliver, generating a voltage drop. There is a passive and cheap device you can buy for few tenths of dollars that tells you all the parameters using a standard algorithm. If you apply it before and after the cables, it tells you where the possible problem is. 

Edited by Pzucchel - 15 July 2021 at 07:17
Hanse588#55
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 22:23
OK...   I've already ruled out the batteries,  and tested them,   but I'm curious.     What is the make and model of this tester?   

The test I had to run put the batteries on a tester for over 20 hours and it reported on capacity and discharge rates as well...

Rick
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 22:35
I think it gives you the same answer, but in few seconds...

Hanse588#55
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2021 at 15:54
At first I’d check the power cables connections, both sides.
Simply a loose nut could give you a huge voltage drop.

Other oxid, everything could reduce/limit the watt flow to the motor.
 Post Reply Post Reply