myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC12 Autopilot Fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdc78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC12 Autopilot Fault
    Posted: 19 July 2021 at 16:24
Hi Guys.  We've had our 345 almost 5 years from new and have been generally very happy with her.  We completed a long (unfortunately) motor sail - mainly motor - and after about 13 hours we experienced a sudden loss of autohelm with a bleep and error message "No active control unit".  For the UK it was a very hot day and I guess the cockpit temperature would have been c. 30 degrees.  Needless-to-say the skipper (me) was otherwise engaged in sail adjustments when the boat suddenly lurched to starboard in a particularly congested tidal channel.  My crew (spouse) got very excited!  the autohelm had not been working parking hard as the conditions were generally quite benign, albeit when the first failure happened we were being carried in a 2 knot tide.
I have Zeus 2-9, Precision9, AC12 Computer, Triton Display and triton Autopilot controller.  After powering everything down (manually steering) and waiting a few minutes I was able to resume autohelm, but this only worked for a few minutes, before failing again.  I have searched the forum and can see that some folks had similar problems way back which was attributed to a software issue, but my boat was commissioned in 2016 and has had B&G approved warranty software updates by the agent.  The last software update for the AC12 was 2015.
Regards,  Paul
H345 #269
pdc78 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdc78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 09:44
Update:Navico Europe Support have suggested that the Triton Pilot Controller might be the cause of the problem and that I remove it from the network and try controlling the Autohelm from the Zeus2.  That will be my task on the next boat trip.  I'll keep you posted.
H345 #269
Captain_Haddock View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain_Haddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 15:34
Hi Paul

I have a similar experience. Two weeks ago my ZEUS3-12 chart plotter (1yr old Hanse 348) rebooted occasionally and again it was quite hot her as well. It did not affect the autopilot which I had controlled by the TRITON display. At some point, however, the ZEUS stopped completely and I had to power-cycle all navigation to get it back.

As the boat is still under warranty I have raised it with HANSE, but they are on summer vacation.

I am sort of nervous here, as in latest 2 years from now our ship will be transferred to Catalunya and then it is most liekly slightly warmer than on the Baltic sea.

I'll keep you posted what Hanse say; I will right there in Greifswald later this year
cheers

Ulli
 Post Reply Post Reply