myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folding Propeller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haifligher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folding Propeller
    Posted: 20 July 2021 at 08:10
Hi everyone, we have the 2 blade folding propeller on our 388, with the upgraded 39hp engine. All ok in general, but it always feels like we need higher revs to get the boat going. Perhaps normal? Anyone has experience with a 3blade propeller? Thats what a friend recommend to get more torque (in the harbour) and same speed with less revs and burning less Diesel. Plus less problems with cavitation. Theoretically that sounds good and logical. Now our techguy who is also in charge for many charter boats told me, he would not use the (heavier) 3 blade folding prop, as that might create problems with the sail drive. Of course we talk about the prop, on the Yanmar list. Grateful for ideas and suggestions. Leave it and live with it? 
Thx, Christian 
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 10:14
I can’t comment on a 388 but I swapped the std x2 blade fixed prop for a x3 blade flex o fold on my 418 and as expected it was transformational - both under sail and power. Under power it provides increased top speed and cruising speed, more power into a head sea and wind, and better close quarters handling. can’t recommend it enough 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Scribble View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scribble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 11:31
Hi
I agree with what you are saying wholeheartedly. Feels like too many revs to get 6 knots on such a large engine and I feel like I wish I had the folding 3 blade too. Good to hear about Embler's success.
Tony
Tony - Hanse 388 Scribble
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 12:17

Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 12:19
Engineering beauty ;)

S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 07:02
What revs do you need for 6kts?
On my 2015 385 with the standard Volvo D1-30 and a Gori two blade folding prop I needed 2,000 revs to get 6kts in flat water.
I felt this was a comfortable speed to motor.
Over 500 hours I averaged 2 litres fuel per hour.

I would definitely recommend having a folding prop rather than fixed blades.

Edited by S&J - 21 July 2021 at 07:04
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
haifligher View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haifligher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 09:10
hi, thx for your replies. We have to check the exact data, but sure we need more than 2000 revs to get 6knots. And we’re using around 3liters / hour, also difficult to judge as we also used the Diesel heater quite a lot. I‘m just wondering about the real adavantage of the bigger engine, if the extra power does not transfer to the blade. Well, not as expected… and maybe that is  the problem? We are happy with the fact that its a  folding prop, specially sailing. Changing now (an only one year old 2 blade folding prop) to a 3 blade… thats what we think about. Will check Mikaels data (highly recommend!), what his setup comes up with. Still the question about the extra weight and damaged saildrives. Anyone heard of that?
Happy sailing! Christian 
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 09:49
I always felt to 30hp was sufficient.  
On the 458 the larger 80hp  engine is basically the 57hp plus turbo which needs high revs to get to temperature for the turbo, consequently high consumption.
I do get instant fuel rates on this boat and it shows that I get 6kts at 1800 revs, about 3l/hour   Now have 3 blade flexofold.

Edited by S&J - 22 July 2021 at 11:55
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 10:55
Originally posted by haifligher haifligher wrote:

Still the question about the extra weight and damaged saildrives. Anyone heard of that?
Happy sailing! Christian 

I was surprised how heavy and how long the 3xblade f-o-f is when folded and did wonder about all that weight / forces / leverage hanging off the saildrive. But the saildrive itself is pretty heavy and I'm sure it's robust enough. I'm also reassured that f-o-f are ultimaely owned by Yanmar so its the same "group" to deal with if you get any problems I guess (Easier for Yanmar to blame Gori or Bruntons etc than their own sister company) 

I'd be surprised if 30hp wasn't plenty. The std 418 only has 9hp more and I've never really needed any more power yet.

Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 14:18
3 blade flexofold on my 40 hp 400e works like a dream.
1900 Revs, some 6.5 knots
I went to the high end of what flexofold recommended, rev’s max out at some  2950 (almost 7.9-8 knots)
Fuel consumption between 1.7-2 liters per hour.

The prop being too heavy for the sail drive, increasing forces on the saildrive ?
Think about the forces on the saildrive (even with a lightweight fixed 2 blade Alu prop) when 8000 kg’s are forced into heavy wind and waves

Also, the SD50 is spec’d up to 75 HP, a 75 HP engine would have a heavier prop anyway.
My SD60 is spec’d for 100 HP

BR
Peter 
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>