myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 320 owner...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 320 owner...?
    Posted: 20 July 2021 at 21:23
Good evening all, new member here.

I've been browsing used boat listings for a while and am just beginning a boat buying journey. I've registered on here as there are three or four Hanse models I'm interested in, depending on where I end up budget wise. I'm viewing a 320 at the weekend. 

I'll admit I'm keener on a 355, for additional space, wife and I are both tall, but lots of advantages too in the smaller boat, particularly as a first boat and for the local day/weekend sailing we will mostly be doing, the boat itself is more than capable, so I want to see how it 'feels' when I get on board - pretty much can I stand up, use the heads and lie down!

A couple of questions - 

The boat in question appears to be very much the basic factory spec, very few equipment upgrades or options - so only 2 winches and no overlapping jib tracks. 4 winches are arguably unnecessary with a self tacker but I would like the option. How easily are they retro fitted? Are the necessary plates there in the build up? 

Thoughts on size of standard winches?

Main sheet - all the previous boats I have sailed have had coach roof travellers and through familiarity, that's my preference - what are the pros and cons of the shackle on the cockpit sole? My wife is not keen on that arrangement and I'm struggling to sell the benefits. 

Self tacking jibs - pros and cons widely known, but how do people feel about them down wind? What about heaving to?

And any model specific info, particular things to check....
aquilo View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 07:57
Hi

Hanse 320 is a great boat. 40" winches are probably what you want to install.
There are aluminium plates enforcements for installing the additional winches. If you search here in the forum you should be able to find a drawing showing all installation plates built into the deck on the 320.

Instead of overlapping genoa (as far as I remember only a 105% possible) you should buy a code zero (or more generic gennaker).

Edited by aquilo - 21 July 2021 at 07:57
Hanse 320
Norway
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 07:42
The H320 is a really nice boat. We are sailing it since 2011. 
For downwind sailing, a Gennaker is highly recommended. You will need the additional winches for the Gennaker. We are sailing it with the tack line attached to the forestay base directly. We have no Gennaker Pin / -Boom. 

The H320 is a boat which sails better with a well controlled main. We have a traveller in the cockpit. 
The more aft the main sheet is attached to the boom, the easier the sail can be controlled, with less power and more precision. 
Once you will have tried this setup in real life, you will probably hate the sheeting in front of the sprayhood. In the H320 setup, there is no downside to the sheet in the Cockpit at all. 

There are aluminum plates for the Genoa tracks in laminated in the deck. The refit is easy, but you will have to consider how to get the sheet to the winches. 
We have done that and are controlling the jib on course of 90°TWA and more over those tracks and we gain about 0,5 knots by doing so. 

You may buy a Fatfurl jib instead of the 105% Genoa - both will provide you with 2 - 4sqm more sail area. This is a huge difference in light winds. 

When you buy a H320, have a look at the windows. The earlier models had some water ingress by bad and non UV resistant sealing. This has been rectified by Hanse, but have a check that this has been done on your future boat. 
The bow pulpit is subject to tiny cracks in the Gelcoat - not a real issue, but not nice. 

As you can see, we are sailing our boat in season #11 - a clear recommendation to go for it. 
Jan

Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
DaveX View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 08:36
Janni, Aquilio, thanks for your replies.

Annoyingly, this boat sold yesterday, so the broker has called and cancelled my viewing, but this infor really helpful for future boats. 

Regrading the windows, is that the coach roof windows, or the hull ports that were removed on later 320's?
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2021 at 09:44
The coach roof windows were subject to the issues. The later 320 do not have any hull windows - this was a feature of the early 320 boats. If you find a boat w/o hull windows and with Lewmar windows, which can be opened - you will have a boat w/o those leakage issues. 
Jan
Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
 Post Reply Post Reply