myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thruster size for 415

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 08:47
Um looks like the pics were dumped when I posted,I’ll have to investigate how I add the pics?
Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 08:55

Edited by Iris - 07 December 2021 at 10:18
Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 10:20
Mike2145 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike2145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2021 at 18:07
Do you have any more pics?  Looks interesting.
Cant take a joke, don't buy a boat.
Idle Hour View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idle Hour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2021 at 18:17
Hi Iris, Yes would love to see more pictures please 
Charlie
SimonGH View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 20:29
Still working this, as spring approaches here in the NE USA.
I'm seriously considering a jet thruster system.  www.jetthruster.com
Has anyone put this type of system on a 415/418?
Seems like a good alternative to a retractable thruster, provided you can fit all the pieces together and in the hull.
I'm working a 3D model to test fit everything, and so far it's looking promising.

I looked at the external device, but i really can't get past the look of it...
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2022 at 08:13
Simon,

jet thrusters were since many years boasted as THE alternative to tunnel or external thrusters. Companies came and went with this system, it never took off. The main reasons are:

-  It is very noisy, noisier than a tunnel system with the inherent cavitation
-  it needs a very strong pump with low efficiency
- difficult to install in a confined structure with at least two ( four though hulls ) and hoses all over the "basement"
- it needs flexible rubber hoses from the central pump to the 1(4) outlets and a  sophisticated control system
- each outlet/inlet needs a shut off valve
- good seamanship requires that you close all valves when you are not on board
- here in Europe the insurances make closing the valves mandatory when you are not on board, otherwise you loose coverage
- thinks about always closing inlet / and 2 ( 4) outlets which are not easily accessible when they are mounted in a certain depth to be efficient

in recent years the external thrusters were THE preferred solution for retrofit due to the flat bottoms of the modern cruisers/racers. When people tick them off the options list for a new boat retractable thrusters seem to become the norm.

Edited by Fendant - 04 March 2022 at 08:59
Frank
SimonGH View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2022 at 13:31
thank you for the comments.
It was appealing because of the lack of major fiberglass work, but as you describe the multiple hoses and nozzles are very difficult to fit in the limited space forward of the bow water tank.

I would have to remove the forward water tank to make it all fit properly, and although I have the extra tank in the salon that seems like a bad trade.

I will start preparing for the retractable install.  The max power looks the most straightforward and will fit nicely.
Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2022 at 17:31
Hi,I’ve just been having a discussion regarding jetthruster .I don’t see why the system won’t fit in the space reserved for the retractable version. 3 smaller holes no danger of drawing in debris .The 415 doesn’t lend itself to a tunnel and the retractable BT takes time to deploy. Smaller nozzles can be mounted further forward so more effective.True I think it might need a relatively larger motor .
SimonGH View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2022 at 21:45
That’s actually what I ended up going with.  Fitting it now. It’s going to be a tight fit, but the nozzles are quite far forward and I should get decent performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>