myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tankage Calibration?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVZara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tankage Calibration?
    Posted: 19 October 2021 at 01:28
Is there anyway to set the calibration on the water and fuel tanks?  When my sensor says 0%, there is a lot more water left in the tank.  This week as a test, I let it get to zero and didnt refill.  We went three days before it finally made the water pump run away.   This is with taking showers, doing dishes, etc.  I wish when it gets to the REAL zero, I can set that as the low point for the sensor.
Marc
S/V Zara
2016 Hanse 505, Hull #129
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 06:25
I have the same issue with my fwd tank. I could be wrong but I don’t believe there is a way to calibrate the display. If yours is like mine then the problem is that the sender is too short. The bottom of mine ends some height off the base of the tank (10/20 cm) so is never going to be able to measure the water below it. 

I’ve not checked whether this is an error by Hanse in using the wrong sender unit or more likely just that the next longest sender available would have been too long. 

I just treat “0%” as an indicator that I am now on reserve and need to fill up at the next opportunity. Like you, I can get about 3 more days on board when I reach this point 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 12:49
What I did was disconnect the sensor inputs from the WURTH panel display (wurth-less) and hook them to another display.   In my case an SIMARINE PICO but there are many that will take any resistance or voltage based input.     You can then calibrate it into any number of points wanted.    You can also add other sensors.  In my case, batteries, refrig/freezer temp,   fuel tanks, etc..   See pics.

I find the WURTH panel (if you have it) an embarrassment to German engineering and have done as much as possible to take it out of the monitoring loop.   

Edited by Black Diamond - 19 October 2021 at 12:50
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
FalParsi View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalParsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 08:23
I agree with Rick and have done the same, albeit with a Victron GX Touch display. I have also taken out the tank sensors and replaced them with high-res Wema sensors.
2016 Hanse 505 #120
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 10:42
That is beautiful ;-) Very nice
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

SVZara View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVZara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2021 at 17:53
Thanks for ALL the info and details!!  More additions to the project list.
Marc
S/V Zara
2016 Hanse 505, Hull #129
Christian K View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 04:17
Hi Rick,

what kind of PICO-System from Simarine do you have exactly?
The Pico ONE, STANDARD or BLUE?
We ordered the ONE type from HANSE with our new 508.

Thank you!
Christian

HANSE 508 #88
Johny View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 06:29
I checked the Wurth fuel display on my Hanse 455 by connecting an accurate resistance decade box instead of the fuel tank sensor. The minimum resistance of the standard supplied VDO fuel sensor is 3 ohms and this is presented as 0% fuel on the display. The maximum resistance of the sensor is 180 ohms and this shows as 99% fuel on the Wurth display.
I checked all the readings in between from 0% to 100% in steps of 1%. My conclusion from this test is that the Wurth panel display very accurately shows the resistance presented by the fuel sensor and is nearly perfectly linear. The problem is that the sensor does not accurately represent the actual amount of fuel in the tank due to its location and length and the fact that the tank has a highly irregular shape.
I would assume that the water tank display suffers from a similar problem.

Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 06:56
I went the low tech route. For water tanks I marked levels on the side of the tank, and lift the cushion to have a look.

For the fuel tank I keep a record of each fill, including what the Hanse meter reads, and how much fuel required  to fill the tank. After a number of fills you can develop a table of panel read out V’s tank level. 

Low tech, but reliable!

Gordon
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 16:59
Hi guys.  If the problem with Marc and Matt is a short sensor, then no amount of calibration with a new digital display will correct that. Once the sensor send the minimum value, it’s done whether the tank is at 20 percent or 0 percent. I know that the wurth panel has its issues, but I have  found the read outs for all my tanks very usable as long as the senders are correct. 
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>