myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mainsheet system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al 348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mainsheet system
    Posted: 25 October 2021 at 02:04
Dear Friends,

1) I have ordered a 2022 Hanse 348, to be delivered June, 2022.
Recently, I was able to sail a 2021 Hanse 348 and appreciated the benefits of the double mainsheet system. However, I was unable to bring the boom over the center of the cabin top. In my previous boat with a single mainsheet system and a traveler, I could bring the boom over to windward and release the main a bit to maximize performance in light wind. I was not able to do this with the double mainsheet system. How is this accomplished?

2) The self tacking jib also is very convenient, but I felt the jib shape suffered a bit. I am considering placing more traditional deck tracts with failrleads. Good or bad idea?

Thank you.
Peace through Sailing
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2021 at 15:03
Congrats on your purchase! you must be excited ;-) I can get my boom over the centrline with lots of kicker and mainsheet, of course you are trading twist in that scenario though

in terms of the jib, I doubt you will be able to add tracks due to needing specific reinforcement (& access) at the build stage. You can barber haul the jib out on a reach using the folding pad eyes on either sides toerail. Then get a nice fulring code / genneker to plug the offwind gap :-)
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Sounder View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 17:25
Congratulations! I just took delivery of our 348 a few months ago. We love the boat. Thus far I can say that the main will come in appropriately, but, as was said above, there is a bit of a compromise in twist. Not a worry thus far.
The clew on the self-tacking jib allows the attachment of the sheet to be altered and this equates to the twist changes that one would make for lighter or heavier weather. The jib is not great in light wind or off the wind and I have ordered a gennaker to fill this role. It will be fun to play around and see what we want to add. The boat moves very nicely and handles beautifully.
You must be very excited. Congratulations again.
David S
NADINE (Hanse 348 #199)
Western Long Island Sound
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 18:28
I have no doubt you will love the new boat.
I had a Beneteau with a similar mainsheet arrangement (although only on one side) and I said that my next boat needed a traveller.  I ended up with a 385 and Phil (at Inspiration Marine) convinced me that the traveller wasn't needed as these boats tend to be sailed with the main looser.

Personally I don't have a problem with how the sail sets, although I'm no racer.  I would like to be able to hold the boom a little steadier when motoring though...

Anyway this year I upgraded to a 458 which of course has the same mainsheet, so it can't be so important.

For the jib, definitely use "outside" sheets when well off the wind.  I now have dedicated padeye for these, but previously must ran a lightweight sheet through the centre cleat.  And do consider a furling spinnaker like a Furlstrom.  I had an asymmetric with a sock on the 385 but the Furlstrom gets much more use.

H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Al 348 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al 348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 23:51
Thank you,

I appreciate all the above comments.

Al
Peace through Sailing
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 10:59
Controlling the twist of the jib is very important and this is how I do it and I think I achieve very good use of the jib offwind.

If you search (remember to set the search to any date) you will find a number of other ideas from people.

Many articles stress the need to get the mainsail boom on the centre line of the yacht, but I am now wondering whether this thinking is determined by people sailing yachts with mast head genoas or racing yachts rather than yachts with small non-overlapping headsails.   I can pull the traveller on my yacht to windward, but I sail with a slack mainsheet so that the boom is not quite on the centreline and there is twist in the sail.  Further experiments on whether I can over-sheet the main will have to wait to next season.

It is a shame you have to wait so long.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Al 348 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al 348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 22:12
Thank you Martin and Rene for those very detailed photos of jib sailing downwing. I've also ordered a Gennaker for the boat.

My question about the mainsail centers on the issue of sailing up wind in light air. One benefits by reducing the angle of attack in light air by bringing the boom to windward and releasing the mainsheet a bit to provide a full 'Belly' to the mainsail. 
I haven't sailed this boat but for one day, so I don't know, but I wonder it tighthening the windward mainsheet to bring the boom up and then releasing the leeward mainsheet to provide fuller sail shape might not work.

Best, Al
Peace through Sailing
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 09:58
Ah, it doesen't work like that as it's a continuous line, so letting off either end (either side) will have the same effect unfortunately. 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 16:11
FYI, it can be rerigged to work that way. Cut the line at the mid point where it meets the boom at the aft end. Then remove the block and fix the two sheets to that same point. You now will have two independent sheets, one to leeward and one to windward which will accomplish what you want. The only down side is that you’ll always need to  adjust both sheets for any given boom angle.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 16:54
Another method is to do what we used to do on my Merlin Rocket racing dinghy and also what I used to fit on charter yachts in the Mediterranean, to the amusement of the flotilla skipper.

Take the two pulleys off the coach-roof fittings.   Then maker up two strops, preferably Dyneema, to go from one pulley deck fitting to the opposite one,  On each strop fasten one of the pulleys you have just removed and set it up so that the pulley is mounted in a fixed position on the strop and mounted as close to the boom as you can get it with the lines still running free. Do the same with the other pulley.  If you wanted at a later date, you could probably go to a double pulley on one strop.

This set up will allow you to get the boom very close to the centreline at much lower sheeting loads than the original sheeting method, so you do not over tighten the leech.

As you never let the mainsheet right out so that the boom rests on the shrouds and you sheet the main in prior to a gybe, you end up not worrying about pulleys hitting the deck.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>