myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retractable cleat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitesurfmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retractable cleat
    Posted: 06 December 2021 at 22:27
My retractable cleats on my 508 have no watertight caps or seal underneath. The photo shows the cleat from underneath. Inside you can stare through the holes and see the sky and there are no backplates. Would like to ask other 508 owners how their retractable cleats are installed and if they have no backplates underneath, or a watertight seal. 

Edited by kitesurfmore - 06 December 2021 at 22:41
Happy Hanse 470 (2010), Owner
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 10:18
I am not shure for the 508 but normally the backplate is building inside the GRP deck and the bolts threads are full of Sikaflex Angry
That’s why it is sometimes very Difficult to get them out.I used 2 counter muts on the underside to get them out.
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
SVZara View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVZara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2021 at 20:11
It looks like you are missing the whole back structure.
Marc
S/V Zara
2016 Hanse 505, Hull #129
kitesurfmore View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitesurfmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2021 at 21:57
I agree, that was my first thought as well
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2021 at 22:47
Hi guys. There’s nothing missing from that photo. The backing plate and structure is buried within the fiberglass laminate. This cleat firmly bolted to it. It’s a very robust fastening.  
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
kitesurfmore View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitesurfmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2021 at 09:01
Thanks Arcadia. The backplate is laminated in the structure, that's perfect. So it's a firm setup, agree!

However in the photo you see the sky and water comes in. I now spoke to the supplier and they told me the a watertight enclosure is missing. You should not see moving parts of the retractable cleat underneath, according to them as water would enter, specially when the cleat is open.

So in short the backplate is not needed, as Arcadia mentioned. But a waterproof back structure seems missing. 

Edited by kitesurfmore - 10 December 2021 at 09:07
FalParsi View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalParsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2021 at 16:16
Originally posted by kitesurfmore kitesurfmore wrote:

Thanks Arcadia. The backplate is laminated in the structure, that's perfect. So it's a firm setup, agree!

However in the photo you see the sky and water comes in. I now spoke to the supplier and they told me the a watertight enclosure is missing. You should not see moving parts of the retractable cleat underneath, according to them as water would enter, specially when the cleat is open.

So in short the backplate is not needed, as Arcadia mentioned. But a waterproof back structure seems missing. 

Did you manage to find this waterproof back structure? I looked on Boatoon but did not find it.
2016 Hanse 505 #120
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2021 at 19:53
Do you have the push down cleats which are more common, or the scissoo type which has fold up arms?  I know these were used in 2020 due to supply chain issues..
I specifically asked for the push down ones as I like to feed the loop of my mooring line through the centre hole (not present on the scissor type) and then take the loop over the horns.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
FalParsi View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FalParsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2021 at 20:09
On my 2016 505 they are push down, not scissor.
2016 Hanse 505 #120
 Post Reply Post Reply