myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse 400 opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrclu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanse 400 opinions
    Posted: 20 December 2021 at 20:17
Hello All,

I am thinking of buying a used 2007 Hanse 400 (or possibly a newer 385) and I was wondering if any current owners could give me their thoughts on the overall quality and how they are holding up as they age?

Would you buy again?

Thanks

Paul
andrewlambert View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewlambert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2021 at 23:45
Hi Paul 

I have a 370 , the same boat essentially but slightly smaller from 2007.

I think It depends on how the boat itself has been used, as example , mine was well maintained and lightly used for perhaps a few weeks a year so she is holding up great. 

This was more important than a specifc model for me.

Got the top sides polished she looks stunning 

Hanse are no different from any other make depending on mileage and wear and tear systems may need replacement 

The big ones cost wise to check on would be sails engine standing rig etc 

Cracking boat at the best cost / value mix you can get , and easy to single hand plus  stiff too.

For me their is nothing specific about Hanse that would not apply to any 13 year old boat in terms of how they are holding up.

I would prefer a lightly used 13 year old boat to a heavily used younger one.

Sorry that’s not much help but to say they if looked after hold up as well as any other equivalent make 

Hanse 370 #237 "Ginger Bay" UK, River Hamble
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2021 at 09:08
hi,
I have a Hanse 400e from 2006. Best boat ever I have owned. You should check the obvious things like engine, rig, sails etc. on the 2007 I would expect Yanmar with the famous slipping SD50 drive. There have also been reports of cracked bulkhead (mine was repaired) as well as leaking rudder. There have been several boats with leaking fresh water pipes. Old electronics is old electronics… The original Jefa DD1 autopilot drive unit is not watertight and might need a re-build or replacement. There has been reports of the outer GRP skin separating from the epoxy hull (on the E version). 
Jesper
Hanse 400e
mrclu View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrclu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2021 at 16:44
Thanks both, really useful.
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2021 at 21:39
I bought my H400 15½ years ago, and she's still going strong. I would not compare the H400 with a H385 though. My mast is 19,52 m from the WL, the 385 mast is 17,3 m. The sail area with jib is 20% larger on the 400, and with a 140% genoa the H400 sail area is 106 m2.
The 385 is comparable with the H 370 with 17,77 m mast and LOA 11,35 m.
Would I buy this boat again? -Yes.
Happy X-mas.
(Here in Denmark, the celebration of "Jul" is a lot older than the bearded man from Jerusalem. The roman-catholic monks had trouble with the vikings who stubbornly insisted on celebrating the winter (and summer) solstice. The roman solution was to dedicate the celebrations to the birthdays of Jesus and Johannes/John the Baptist).

:Kjeld (Old viking name "Ketil" meaning Kettle/Cauldron = Helmet or Sacrificing Vessel).
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2021 at 15:24
You also need to consider what type of layout works for you at sea as well as alongside.  A 2007 H400 will be single-wheeled with different angles and distances to the winches compared to a newer 385 which (unless someone tells me otherwise!) is twin-wheeled with winches close to the cam-cleats.  While I'm sure there are many others who prefer the latter arrangement, it really doesn't work for me in my type and style of sailing.  I'm not saying that one type is necessarily better, only that the 400's layout suits me better.    That said, I've no doubt that the wider and more open stern is better for marina life, if that's an important issue to you.

While I'm sure the 385 would have done the same, my 400 has stood up well to long distance cruises in rough weather and sea states and never once gave me cause for concern.  Routine preventative maintenance will do much to reduce anxiety if you sail further from home and when considering any boat, I'd strongly recommend you be guided more by maintenance records and the material state  than simply by the age of the vessel.

Of course, any Hanse is built to a budget and this will show if you dig deep enough.  However, they are very strong where they need to be and either model should give you years of satisfaction - and fun.
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Trav View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 22:12
Hi,
I do love my Hanse 400e 2009 build.
However.....
Wiring is an absolute abortion. Using wire that is not marine grade is a major problem that will haunt you at some stage. When you add to this the fact that alot of the wiring can not be accessed without cutting giant access holes in your boat, you have a major problem.
Bilges are super shallow and a pain in the backside to dry if for whatever reason you end up with water in them. The water will sit inside the grid and not end up in the bilge pump pocket.
Check out your anchor winch and ponder the method of removing it to service. Again you can't without cutting big access holes.
Your navlights will be the first thing to go out.
As you can probably tell I am in the middle of a bit of a project re wiring at the moment. 
Great sailing boat over all, comfortable and quick, seaworthy and lots of fun to sail. Its just a shame they haven't built the boat with maintenancein mind. 
Having said all of this I am happy with the Hanse 400e, and would recommend to others, but be aware of the above issues.
Cheers.
Travis.

Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 10:52

Trav writes: ”However.....” , and mentions  wiring, bilge, anchor winch and navlights. If Trav (as  it seems)has owned his Hanse for less than a year, he is fortunate that the provious owner may have fixed yet a number of annoying things like the cone clutch, the seacocks and the refrigerator ventilation. Just read the posts in the Hanse 400 section for the last 15 years, and by all means use the advanced search function to find more posts about the places where more expensive parts would have been nice.

When I bought a brand new Hanse 400 almost 16 years ago, it was in my view a boat just as beautiful and potent as a Danish X-yacht. The Hanse was a wee bit more affordable than the Danish yacht though.

So when we talk about items on our Hanses which are better solved on a X-yacht, we must remember, that when we buy a nice Volkswagen, it is obvious that the quality is not the same as in a Rolls Royce.

My Hanse is the 2006 model, so I never had problems with leaking windows, and the challenges of wiring, navlights and cone clutch never have been a problem on my boat. But then my Hanse was the exhibition model at the Boat Fair, so maybe the yard tried harder to make this boat better than the rest.

If you have not yet changed the seacocks on a Hanse which is older than 5 years, remember that Hanse Werft is recommending to inspect/change them after 5 years. Try “Advanced search, seacocks”.

Edited by Captain Cook - 16 January 2022 at 11:01
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 13:07
Kjeld's right in comparing a VW to a Roller; you get what you pay for.

In fairness, however, the UK press have been reporting on the widespread use of poor-quality seacocks throughout the boating industry for some years now; the issue is not confined to Hanse.  Mine were changed to the plastic type and have proved themselves over many thousands of miles onboard.  A trawl through other websites will show that many of the nuisance issues recorded in this forum affect other mainstream builders too - and more.   Although I'd like to fit the kit that fixes the cone clutch issue once and for all, it simply hasn't bothered me too much as I include lapping in the regular maintenance schedule.  Beyond boring a few holes to improve ventilation I've not been too fussed about the fridge either, nor am I about the poor position of the windlass.  The wiring though - that's a real dog's breakfast that should never have had a place on a yacht; the use of untinned wire is unforgivable but again, not an issue that's confined to Hanse.  I've been replacing mine on a rolling schedule depending on condition and importance.

A proper maintenance schedule and log does much to anticipate and mitigate the known issues.  When considering any boat I'd submit that a thorough check of such a log, backed up with receipts, should be at least as important as the survey.  If such a log is not present, then Caveat Emptor! 
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 16:25
Our 2005 build/2006 launch 400e keeps on going strong.  Personally, I wouldn't equate the 385 to it (nice though that is) as it's a somewhat smaller boat with a different design imperative.  We've had a variety of maintenance jobs to do but overall none of them have dampened my enjoyment of the boat.  Even in some pretty horrendous weather and sea conditions it always feels crew limited and not boat limited.

Over time I've added a bow thruster, inner forestay for storm jib and track/trysail, symmetric spinnaker gear, autopilot remote, LiFePO4 batteries, a roving pipe from the shower pump to sunk up odd spills into the bilge that don't get to the bilge pump, inverter, 200w of solar panels etc etc.  However, even without all those changes/toys it was a cracking sail from day one.  Equally it was and still is comfortable alongside even with 4+ crew.

Had a variety of normal snags.  Have swapped sea cocks, run fresh cables when needed, got used to the sail drive requiring planned TLC for oil seals & cone clutches, refurbed mast/standing rigging and kept a careful eye on the rudder post alloy & play.  All pretty normal for any modern boat after 15 years. 

Overall, it's given me great sailing at a great price.  All the best if you do go ahead Paul.
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>