myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&G H5000 system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdderijke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&G H5000 system
    Posted: 23 December 2021 at 11:21
Lets talk H5000....  I am just returning from a trip around the north Atlantic, 17000NM in total.
So far the following B&G components have failed:

- 2 x H5000 Pilot controller: For both units: The unit stops working, first some buttons fail, later they all stop working and the display goes dead. Reason: Water in the units, leaking via the front. After contacting B&G they claimed that in 2016/17 Hanse mounted these units with machine screwdrivers, thereby tightening the screws to the point that the unit front bends a little....hence the leaking.

- 2 x H5000 Graphic Display: One unit intermittently switches on and off (reboots). Opening up the unit (not for the faint of heart) showed a broken wire/bad connection. For the other unit 2 buttons have stopped responding, i have not examined this unit yet, but i suspect water in the unit...

- 1 x H5000 Zeus2 Multi Function Display: The unit will not switch off, or even listen to the ON/OFF button. Switching it off via the touchscreen main menu causes the unit to reboot. Booting is also very slow. I don't know the reason for this failure

Navico / B&G have been helpful replacing the units, for a discounted price (even though they where out of warranty), but the question remains in my head.... is this normal for this equipment or did Hanse mount them wrong????
JD
ohthetrees View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohthetrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2021 at 14:30
I think it is a combination of factors. 

1) Hanse wasn’t very careful with the mounting. 
2) The location of the steering pedestals are very exposed to conditions. 
3) B&G has not made sufficiently rugged devices. 

The previous owner had to replace one of the auto pilot controllers, but everything has been OK for me, apart from one chart plotter.

I had similar symptoms with my chart plotter power button. I disassembled the plotter and found signs of corrosion in the power button itself. It got to the point where the power button didn’t work to turn the unit on or off. It was mysterious to me why it would sometimes turn on when I powered up the system, and sometimes would not. 

My solution was to hook the yellow wire that comes from the back of the chart plotter directly to a 12V source that turns on and off with the instruments. It was a while ago, so I don’t remember which wire I tapped into, but I do remember and boots right in the instrument pod, I didn’t have to go far. When arranged like this, the plotter uses the yellow wire to tell if it should be powered up or not, it ignores the power button.

Were the discounts offered by B&G substantial?

jdderijke View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdderijke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2021 at 20:13
Originally posted by ohthetrees ohthetrees wrote:

I think it is a combination of factors. 

1) Hanse wasn’t very careful with the mounting. 
2) The location of the steering pedestals are very exposed to conditions. 
3) B&G has not made sufficiently rugged devices. 

The previous owner had to replace one of the auto pilot controllers, but everything has been OK for me, apart from one chart plotter.

I had similar symptoms with my chart plotter power button. I disassembled the plotter and found signs of corrosion in the power button itself. It got to the point where the power button didn’t work to turn the unit on or off. It was mysterious to me why it would sometimes turn on when I powered up the system, and sometimes would not. 

My solution was to hook the yellow wire that comes from the back of the chart plotter directly to a 12V source that turns on and off with the instruments. It was a while ago, so I don’t remember which wire I tapped into, but I do remember and boots right in the instrument pod, I didn’t have to go far. When arranged like this, the plotter uses the yellow wire to tell if it should be powered up or not, it ignores the power button.

Were the discounts offered by B&G substantial?

Substantial..... i don't know. They offered 50% off MSRP, but i have to give them the broken old units back. I think it is reasonable and fair.
I think these units should operate even in the most exposed positions, that's how they are designed....or should be designed anyway.
I had to open up the pilot controller and i think the construction is solid enough for exposed environments.......guess that leaves us with Hanse mounting them wrong....

JD
 Post Reply Post Reply