myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Exhaust Blower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gratitude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Exhaust Blower
    Posted: 14 January 2022 at 05:48
Our 2017 415 has given us five terrific years of cruising and some distance racing with one mystery that seems to come and go at random. Late last Fall the Engine blower didn't go on with the normal on/off button when you initiate starting the motor. Another time I came down to the boat it was on. I had an Marine Mechanic come down and take a look and of course everything worked perfect for him. He couldn't find anything wrong. Then for several weeks it operated exactly as expected going on/off as expected with the normal start /stop sequence. The mechanic said not sure what I would do next except "throw parts at it" so I thought that doesn't sound like much of a plan and it's winter so we'll give it a little time and see what happens. Low and beyond it's come back whereby the fan does not go on at all. Since it's intermittent I am doubtful it has anything to do with the fuses. Anyone else have this experience and could share a tip? Many thanks!
David Barnes - Gratitude - Hanse 415 - Seattle, WA
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 09:15
Hi David,
The blower is controlled by the infamous MDI which is the most sensitive piece of electronics ever designed. There are numerous threads on this site about its failures, although the most failures were in boats older than yours. 
Does everything else work? Rev counter, running hours etc?
I would be tempted to check all the connections especially those to the MDI and perhaps spray with a proprietary connection cleaner.
The thing to watch out for is that if the MDI fails completely then you can't even start the engine, unless you have an over ride button.
Good luck
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
350Bob View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 350Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 11:06
Hi David,

I would agree with Paul that, as an intermittent fault, the first thing that I would do is check through all the connections. Our blower stopped working as a result of corrosion on the fuse holder, easy fix once traced.

Bob
H350 #205
32mike View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 11:22
My 2020 458 came new with the engine blower fan not working. After a lot of troubleshooting with an electrician, we found a fuse in the wrong slot and a bad wire from the engine control to the panel. We had to run another wire from the throttle control all the way to the panel under the nav table. Fortunately there was an empty electrical conduit under the starboard aft cabin bed which facilitated the wiring. We don’t however have the Volvo with the notorious MDI panel. Ours has a Yanmar. Good luck.
Mike
S/V Dulces Sueños
458 #087
Tampa, FL
Breeze On View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 16:24
For this blower, Jabsco states that the blower is designed for intermittent use & that the maximum motor life is 1000 hours!  Ours died a month ago on our 2013 415 with 2300 engine hours.  
George & Bev

Breeze On (415 #096)
Gratitude View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gratitude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 16:54
Paul/Bob/George/Bev/Mike  - Thank you for sharing. Interestingly the MDI was replaced under warranty at the end of 2018 as it was recalled. The hours meter and light to the unit are also working so it's a real headscratcher. I'm going to walk over the wiring as a starting point and the fuse areas seem promising. Thanks again I plan to follow up with what I find. 

Edited by Gratitude - 17 January 2022 at 16:56
32mike View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 17:25
David,

With ours, the lights and hours meter worked as well. The only thing that didn’t work was the blower. I don’t know what happened to the original wiring but after running the new wire it has worked without a hitch.
Mike
S/V Dulces Sueños
458 #087
Tampa, FL
Ian Coverdale View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Coverdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 17:49
Hi Mike,
Is this Volvo?
Our D2-55 has relay type box to control this fan in random location behind stern nav light in starboard transom (h445). It is connected to engine MDI to rev-counter/engine control panel cabling. No idea what this was at first, just seems far from anything! Cable goes via some Wago 'nuts' near saildrive stop-cock then to fuse on 'Klein' board below nav station. If you have these Wago connectors, worth checking they are okay as could have become wet. h415 is very much like our h445 so may or may-not be the same.
Good luck.

Ian & Andrea
SV Gabrielle (H445)
Liveaboards - currently Gosport UK for winter 2023/24.
www.facebook.com/sailinggabrielle
32mike View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 32mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 18:25
No, mine has the new Yanmar 4JH57. I guess the Volvo was giving them too much trouble so they switched it. Apparently that didn’t solve all the blower problems though.Stern Smile
Mike
S/V Dulces Sueños
458 #087
Tampa, FL
Gratitude View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gratitude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2023 at 14:02
Apologies I never followed up on the fix here. Tracing the wiring we found a loose connection behind the navigation seat back. I was grateful for a the simple solution and only wished I done it sooner.  
 Post Reply Post Reply