myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust hose chafe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quiksail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust hose chafe
    Posted: 14 January 2022 at 13:48
Hi Everyone,
 I noticed rubber dust near my exhaust outlet and discovered that the generator exhaust hose and the Yanmar exhaust hose had chafed significantly through. I'm repairing the hose and adding chafing gear.

Just a heads up for your winter check lists!

2019 458

Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 15:49
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check mine now.  Those hose vibrate considerably, so any contact would indeed result in chafing.  
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 15:56
I had this problem on the 385 because it wasn't secured very well.  
Checked the 458 on delivery and it was much better and well secured.
Maybe a sloppy bit of QC in the factory?

I found myself squeezing into the void behind the cabin on both boats to run cables, fit speakers and so on!
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 02:23
I had a similar  problem on my 418, the exhaust hose was rubbing on the gas locker, at the top of the final loop into the through hull. Very difficult to inspect at that location, but the tell tale rubber on the hull below is what I now look for.

Gordon
32mike View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 12:57
My boat came with this problem new from the factory. The boat was motored from Greifswald to a shipping port n the Netherlands, I believe. Somewhere, maybe at the end of that voyage, the chafing was found. Upon delivery in the states, the broker’s representative already knew of it and installed extensive chafing gear in the commissioning process.
Mike
S/V Dulces Sueños
458 #087
Tampa, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply