myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo Penta rev limit: max RPM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volvo Penta rev limit: max RPM
    Posted: 21 March 2022 at 16:58
Is there a rev limit preset on these engines?   The name plate on the engine rates it 81kW at 3000 rpm.

[

Edited by Relentless - 26 December 2022 at 22:37
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 18:26
Rob,

Our Flexfold prop is a 24x15 3R. I wonder why teh different prop size between the 2 boats.  On our original sea trails I think engine RPM max'd out at about 2750rpm which was around 9.5kn. Haven't tried max speed test since. We normally cruise at 1700rpm which in smooth water gives us 7.3kn with economy of about 0.85lt/nmile. The only delimiting I think happens is to limit rpm to 1500 with some faults recongisied by the ECU. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 19:50
That is interesting Wayne!   My gear ratio is 2.48:1. (Nameplate info on top of gear box)

I’ve never seen revs that hi.  

I’ll get close to 9.5knts at around 2200 rpm…. And that’s it. (Flat water and light wind). I usually cruise at 1600 for economy and 1800 when we are in a hurry. 2000 when really in a hurry! 
Boat speeds all depend on sea state and wind direction but I like to go 7.5-8knts. 

Edited by Relentless - 21 March 2022 at 19:51
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2022 at 21:44
Hi guys. For what it’s worth, my 588 has the same 23x16 prop as Rob.  Also, my speed vs RPM are similar although I can get up to 2600 rpm with a clean hull but not much more boat speed than the 9.5 Kts I get at 2300. It’s important to know that the Volvo D3 is a very different engine than the Yanmar.  The D3 develops its full HP rating at around 2300 rpm. After that the torque curve drops quickly so that the HP output curve is flat from 2300 to 3000 rpm (100 HP). In other words a lower pitch prop like Wayne has will allow a higher rpm from the D3 but we all are getting the same HP output. I’m guessing Hanse or Volvo decided that choosing a higher pitch prop will target a lower rpm and make for a quieter engine with less wear while drawing the full 100 HP.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2022 at 21:59
Rob,

Our gear box ratio is the same 2.48:1 ar yours.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 11:05
I have a 4x blade prop. The rpms peak at 2100 rpms now that the hull is not clean, and when the hull is clean i reached  about 9.5 kt.

Two questions :

1) the turbo never reaches more than 20 kPa. Normal?
2) I consistently see that the exhaust produces a brown flow of gas when going at maximum rpms. Do you see the same, or it is lack of combustion? 
Hanse588#55
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 15:51

Piero,

It looks to me like your prop has a bit too much pitch. I also guess that you have the 150 hp option on the D3 Volvo, so the 4 blade prop. On either engine (100 or 150 HP), the max HP is reached at above 2300 rpm, so with the correct prop loading you should reach 2500 rpm. I think you are overloading the engine if you can only reach 2100. That explains the low boost pressure, and Smokey exhaust. Was it like this when new or did this developer over time?

Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 16:03
Originally posted by Arcadia Arcadia wrote:

Piero,

It looks to me like your prop has a bit too much pitch. I also guess that you have the 150 hp option on the D3 Volvo, so the 4 blade prop. On either engine (100 or 150 HP), the max HP is reached at above 2300 rpm, so with the correct prop loading you should reach 2500 rpm. I think you are overloading the engine if you can only reach 2100. That explains the low boost pressure, and Smokey exhaust. Was it like this when new or did this developer over time?

All this changed... When I lost the original propeller and mounted what Hanse and flexo fold suggested... It generates good speed, but the load is probably too high... I will check the specs of the pitch and size...

No, I have the 110hp...

Edited by Pzucchel - 23 March 2022 at 16:03
Hanse588#55
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 16:15
4 blades on the 110 is unnecessary. The 3 blade 23 inch has plenty of blade area. The 23x16 3R works very well. It gets the full power out of the D3 without excessive rpm. I don’t understand why they recommended something different.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:36
Originally posted by Arcadia Arcadia wrote:

Piero,

I think that the problem is solved. While inspecting for an oil leak, it was found out that behind the oil filter there is a tube that was disconnected. I suspect it was connected with the turbo because now the propeller whirls up to maximum rpms... To talk about the quality of mechanicians and services, I had TWO engine checkups and the technicians didn't notice that the turbo was not entering in action... 
Hanse588#55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>