myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Furling Main Sail - selden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minibusdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furling Main Sail - selden
    Posted: 29 April 2022 at 09:15
We appear to have problems controlling the amount of sail deployed on our 458. I suspect a problem with the the furling mechanism although we are relatively new at this and it could be a problem with the organic interface Wink

I have emailed selden Uk for clarification but have posted below my email as I anticipate forum members will probably reply quicker. Anyone else had similar issues. Any help is appreciated. 

We have  a new Hanse 458 (purchased September 2021) that has a Selden rig including in mast furling type RB Mk11 or RC Mk 11 I’m not sure which, the supplied manual doesn’t make it clear how to differentiate. We have an endless furler loop to control reefing from the cockpit.   

We appear to have a problem reefing/ furling from the cockpit which may be a misunderstanding on our part or maybe a defect with the furling mechanism.  I have read the manual several times but I am unable to work out where we are going wrong.  We would appreciate your help to diagnose and rectify the problem.

My understanding is the reefing winch at the mast has two positions ratchet and free.  In the ratchet position the sail can only be furled in and the ratchet prevents the sail unfurling.  In the free position the sail can be furled in or out and the sail is either furled or unfurled depending on which way the endless  furling loop is moved in conjunction with the outhaul.

The issue we are having is in stronger winds when unfurling the sail from the cockpit we seem unable to hold the sail in a partially reefed position.   Once the wind fills the sail it completely unfurls irrespective of what we do  with the endless loop or the outhaul. 

My understanding is If you only wanted two thirds of the sail deployed you would set the winch to the free position, unfurl the sail with the outhaul and control the amount of sail that was unfurled with the endless loop.  Once the desired amount of sail was released I anticipated locking off the endless loop to prevent further sail spooling out and then adjusting the curve of the sail by tensioning the outhaul to give the desired shape. 

As mentioned above in our case even though we lock the endless loop all the sail unfurls. The obvious question is why have an endless loop if it doesn’t do anything?

On another occasion we tried to to move the sail from an initial reefed position to an increased reefed position.  With the winch set to free the sail actually unfurled completely as we were trying to reef further. I suspect this is not supposed to happen.

As an aid to try and diagnose the problem today as we unfurled the main sail at the start of the days sailing I first set the winch to free and checked the endless loop was engaged in the winch ( wasn’t loose ) and then as one crew member pulled the sail out with the outhaul I kept the endless loop locked in the spin locks ( which I realise is not normal practice) and to my surprise the sail completely unfurled. In fact the wind caught the sail and it unfurled quicker than the outhaul was able to undo it. 

As I indicated previously it may be a misunderstanding on my part but presumably that shouldn’t happen and maybe something has broken inside the furling unit or something has not been engaged properly. 

Can I ask you to confirm my understanding of the operation of the furling unit is correct and the furling unit is currently not operating as expected. 

Minibusdriver View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minibusdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 19:57
please can anyone help.  
Maybe just tell me how you furl and unfurl your mainsail and In Particular how you use the endless loop and control how much sail you let out Smile
Thanks 
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 04:23
The Free/Rachet selection is the key.  

My process is a follows. 

Once I have unfurled the main in the "Free" position I set the mast winch to "Rachet". 

I am then ready to make any amount great or small of "reefing" according to the wind and my inclination. 

I only ever use the endless line for putting the sail away or indeed reefing the main.  I never use the endless loop to "lock" the main either fully deployed or any particular reef.

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minibusdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 21:18
interesting thanks for the reply. 
So if you want to go from fully furled to say 2/3 furled in strong winds how do you stop all the sail coming out?
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 21:55
With difficulty. But why would you want to if the wind is that heavy.
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 21:58
Another solution is to operate the furling winch from the mast and not via the endless line. Better control. 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minibusdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 22:11
Thankyou for taking the time to reply again. 
If you go out sailing and the wind is blowing say 18 -22kts you wouldn’t want full main sail. You would want to select the equivalent of reef 1 or Reef 2 with slab reefing system. 
With in mast furling we have had difficulty in unfurling a fully furled sail to the equivalent of reef 1 or reef 2.  We always seem to end up with all the sail out. 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minibusdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 22:13
I must admit we have not tried using the winch at the mast. We will give that a go 
Thankyou for the suggestion

MrPotatoHead View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPotatoHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 21:32
We had the same problem at first until we figured out you just need to maintain tension on the furling drum to prevent the sail from unfurling freely.  You should only use the ratchet setting if you are furling with a winch handle at the mast (no furling line).
Hanse 458 #126
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 22:35
I always furl my main in Rachet position using the endless line. I’ve been doing that for over six years with zero issues. I only go to the mast to select free or rachet. I never need to winch from the mast. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>