myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb access question…

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumb access question…
    Posted: 30 April 2022 at 17:27
I’m trying to update the center MFD and am adding Radar.
I need to run the Ethernet to the center pod mount on the cockpit table.
In scoping this all out, I cannot figure out how to access the area behind the engine where the exhaust is, sail drive, etc.  I have a two cabin version, but there is no access panel in either aft cabin??
How do you get under the table??
Thanks!
Simon
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2022 at 21:14
Chainsaw?
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
SimonGH View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 14:50
Seriously!

I'm completely perplexed.  I would have expected an access panel in the "storage" area to that region.  How do you service the exhaust?

I just bought this boat last fall, so it's all new to me.  I will say that I love the build quality over my previous Beneteau 41.1, but I will offer that the Beneteau was a lot easier to upgrade and modify because you could access these areas.

Does anyone have any documentation or images / drawings?  I can't find anything in the manuals.
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 17:56

I did this on a 418 and have just looked into it again for a second MFD at the chart table. Firstly check there isn’t an existing ethernet connected. The factory had run one in during the build and left the other end by the main panel under the chart table. Who knew ;)

It’s fairly straightforward to ease an Ethernet cable down the table leg, then there was a cut out at the aft end of the port aftcabin (in the bulkhead between the aft cabins). I was able to “fish” the dropped cable out from that access hole and then run it back either through the aftcabin or to the engine bay. Obviously the issue is the bulky B&G plugs, so you may need to splice cables together 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 08:55
Hi, wow not easy to explain, but i ran my UPT cable from the mast though the roof via the toilet to the back of the instrument panel ( nav table ) at the inside, where the switches for accessories are through a ( broken :( )tube to the aft cabin and then via the place were the original wire is till the cockpit table at the chart plotter.

Main obstacles :
Factory installed empty tube in coach-roof was squeezed in fabrication process and not usable. I removed all led spots and used the openings to pass the UPT by jumping in different steps, ended up in the bathroom and managed to arrive behind the instrument panel at the nav table.
Tube originally installed tube behind the instrument panel on navigation table was broken @ at 80 cm from start, yes here i got a lot of luck :):) and managed to come through !!

It was a nice job, it took me 1 day without using a saw or drill :):) Yes it is feasible but not easy.
I did it on our 385 who is similar to the 415.

Good luck and if you need more info, pls let me know.
Best regards
/C
SimonGH View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 00:47
Ok, from the lack of "you dummy, there's an access panel in xyz location" posts, I'm not crazy.
I saw where a large bundle of cables comes out of a cutout in the aft port cabin like you describe.

I'm just amazed at the fact there is no way to get in there?

What happens if you need to service the exhaust?

I'm very tempted to cut an access panel in the "storage" area...

Matt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 19:38
On the 445 there are access panels to the engine bay behind each cabin door so can get to both sides of the sail drive and exhaust mixer. Additionally under the port bunk is access to the hot water tank and a panel that forms part of the bunk that lifts to access the exhaust. 

I have not been on a 415 but it would be an amazing design decision to not make similar provision on a boat only slightly smaller in the same family.
HANSE 445 #231 "ALBION"
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 08:07
Hi as per Matt's assumption our 2 cabin 415 has the same access arrangements as his 445. There is also a removable panel in the rear bulkhead in the second cabin that allows access to the stern. Not a comfortable squeeze through but fine for access.
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
TouchOfGrey View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TouchOfGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 22:05
Hi Simon,

we did the same on our 418. It appeared the yard had already installed an ethernet cable from the MFD to the cable 'trunk' accessible behind the hatch in port aft cabin (same hatch you must remove to access the main winch motor, if electrified, or to access the service port at the back of the Triton unit).

In our 418 there was also an ethernet cable installed from this location to the chart table area. The only part I needed was a female-female connector to plug in both ethernet cables.

Good luck!
Henk

Touch of Grey
H418 #028
SimonGH View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 01:12
Thanks everyone!  I will investigate.  It would be awesome if it was pre-installed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>