myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRC Rating for Hanse 315

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sailor1705 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IRC Rating for Hanse 315
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 10:13
Hi

Do any of you race, and do you have an IRC rating, 

I have a 2007 315 and would be grateful for any help on this, 

415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 10:31
Hi, we have an IRC certificate for our 415, what I would say is that if you want to get a proper rating it is worth doing properly as it isn't cheap. 
The gross weight that Hanse give is very optimistic, so it is worth getting the boat weighed, bearing in mind the unofficial IRC mantra is "turn the boat upside down and weigh it after everything loose fall out" this includes anchor and chain, sails etc. But definitely worth doing as weight has a serious impact on rating. 
If you only need a rough guide there are plenty of websites showing all handicaps used, Round the Island race in the UK is a good example.
Good luck
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 10:45
Sorry forgot to add that all overhang and hull measurements should be taken when the boat is in the  empty "turn the boat upside down and weigh it after everything loose fall out" position
When we did this Night Train floated nearly 5 cms above her normal marks, which also makes a big difference to the overhang measurements
Paul

Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Sailor1705 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sailor1705 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 12:34
Hi Paul

Our local club uses IRC, not many of us like it, they have just given me 900 as a rating, but weight of boat was wrong for a start, even the guy in the club thinks it’s too high, so where do I go from here, will look at the round the island info to see what others have.

I was put temporarily on 850, and there appears to be no one else racing one of these, 

Any more info you can give I would be grateful,,,, have to put together a case for a change/reduction in rating or give up and just cruise,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply