myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saltwater ingress-2007 342

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dschack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saltwater ingress-2007 342
    Posted: 17 May 2022 at 16:12
I am having a problem identifying the source of saltwater ingress.   Happens when underway and water is accumulating under starboard  bunk in compartments including space under batteries. 

Also have saltwater making it into the bilge. Not sure if it is same or different issue. Never enough to make bilge pump operate. 

The stern lockers/lazerttes appear dry. 

Thoughts/advice appreciated.
Sounder View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 16:43
It seems you should interrogate the through-hull fittings. Boat speed is just astern of the forward bulkhead I think (I have a 348 and that's where it is). Please keep us updated. I hope you find the source without any further headaches...
David S
NADINE (Hanse 348 #199)
Western Long Island Sound
Dschack View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dschack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 04:15
thanks   Will define you check but my suspicion is that it’s coming somewhere further aft.  
kuling73 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuling73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 06:42
Hi, have you checked the vacuum valve for the engine?

Regards Håkan
/Best regards Håkan. Hanse 342 #477
NK1 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 20:33
Hi. Check your exhaust silencer for leaks? It might be this. Turn engine on for this.
Captain MJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 00:07
Hi Dschack,
Since you say it only happens when you are underway, if you have a wheel-steered boat the first thing I would check would be the rubber gaiter that seals the top of the rudder tube. I recently inspected my entire steering system and I discovered a small hole in mine. When the boat is not moving, the top of the rudder tube is above the waterline, but underway, especially in a following sea, the waterline rises above it.

If you need one, you can fabricate your own using neoprene, or you can get a ready made one from your local Jefa dealer. https://www.pyiinc.com/jefa-rudder/sealing-systems.html

Let us know what you find
Mark Jordan : ASA Sailing Instructor : USCG Licensed Captain : Hanse 342 "Twelve-Winded Sky" #405
Dschack View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dschack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 00:29
thanks.  That’s one thing I need to check this weekend. Appreciate the suggestion. It’s definitely something I’ve suspected-but no obvious signs shoreside p
Captain MJ View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 02:44
There's really only one way to check it, and that's to crawl in there.
Boat yoga!
Mark Jordan : ASA Sailing Instructor : USCG Licensed Captain : Hanse 342 "Twelve-Winded Sky" #405
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 04:59
I had the same problem on my H315 (2006) that saltwater came in underway.

I checked a lot of things, but then finally I emptied the aft storage and looked with a torch at the joint between hull and deck. And there it was. One dry unlaminated fiber sticking out from the hull/deck joint and a small ingress of water.
A drop of epoxy/sikaflex fixed it and the boat has been dry ever since.

That joint goes under water when the boat speed goes above 2 knots.

On a new boat the joint is sikaflexed from the outside, and after a few years the sikaflex wears out,  and the leaking started.

I once dicussed with a dissapointed H342 byer. He was offered a H342 where you could actually see through the aft hull deck joint. He did not buy that boat.

H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 13:33
Check the bend on the Exhaust-hose right before it ejects into the sea. Happened on our previous boat. Only leaked while motoring.

Edited by H8jer - 21 May 2022 at 13:35
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>