myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

505: Black Water tank sensor replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVZara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 505: Black Water tank sensor replacement
    Posted: 19 June 2022 at 04:59
My black water tank sensors are not working.  One always reads 100% and another always reads 0%.  They never change.  I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the tank sensors to something more reliable?  What is the tank sensor make/model being used for the Hanse 505?   Any recommendations for replacement or upgrade?
Marc
S/V Zara
2016 Hanse 505, Hull #129
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 11:26
I use since years without any  problems the Philippi ultrasonic sensor. 
Frank
SVZara View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVZara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 15:51
Does that unit plug into the wurth panel the same as the existing sensor? Or is there other work involved?
Marc
S/V Zara
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 17:50
The worth panel sensors are resistance based.  The WURTH panel manual said what the inputs should be.    I have ultrasonic sensors and they are voltage based.   You can't hook voltage based sensors into the WURTH (I think).

As such I just disconnected mine from the WURTH panel and use a separate display (in my case a PICO display, but Phillipi has one of their own as well).  

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 23:08
Marc, Rick is right. I am using a Philippi tank monitor for resistance based sensor ( fuel, water, grey water ) and black water voltage based.

Frank
SVZara View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVZara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 01:38
I like that PICO system.  I was actually thinking of installing that to monitor everything.  What ultrasonic units are you using on your tanks?  Did switching to PICO force you to change ALL your tank sensors or were you able to keep the fuel and water ones?

Edited by SVZara - 20 June 2022 at 01:59
Marc
S/V Zara
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 02:07
I use the Maretron sensors on both the freshwater and blackwater tanks.    I hooked up the resistance  based fuel tank sensors to the pico as well.    I also use the PICO for temp sensing as well as battery/solar monitoring.  

See displays and my wiring diagram..  It works well, but the company can be very frustrating.    They really don't understand how to release firmware or communicate with customers.  You should know that going in.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
haifligher View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haifligher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 10:00
Hanse is now using the UltraSound Sensor system by Gobius. It needs proper calibration... Is that the system you have?
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 10:41
No.   The GOBIUS works OK,  and can interface with the SIMARINE PICO just fine.  That said,   its a "knock and listen" unit that mounts outside the tank (thus the advantage) .   To work well,  you need multiple sensors on the outside of the tank (opinion).   I don't personally think its as accurate as the ultrasonic units like the Maretron.

In any case,  I found the WURTH panel to be useless for monitoring and almost as bad for basic electrical switching.   As I have said before,  its an embarrassment to German engineering.   I decided to remove the dependency on it for monitoring and go to an independent system.  In my case the PICO,  but Phillipi,  Victron, Mastervolt and others have them.    

The new Hanse's come with the CZONE system which seems better, but I cannot comment as I do not have one.   

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
SVZara View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVZara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 14:57
Was it difficult to remove the old level sensors on the black water tanks?  There isnt much headroom in the cabinet to pull up a long sensor rod.  I am not familiar with what's in there by Hanse.
Marc
S/V Zara
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>