myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Self-tacker attachment point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self-tacker attachment point
    Posted: 28 July 2022 at 18:23
Any opinions/ experience out there on there on which hole to use for the jib sheet.? I started in the middle. Then moved it where it is to maybe reduce twist but it seems to have made it harder to furl. Thinking that “medium” was the better choice.

Mike
S/V Dulces Sueños
458 #087
Tampa, FL
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 18:25
I use second from top which seems to give good sail shape.
If the wind is more than 10kts or so I generally turn downwind to furl.

H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 06:55
Hi Mike
I don't think the attachment point should make any difference to the ease of furling. The correct hole is really down to the cut of each individual sail, wind strength etc.
We replaced the 12mm jib sheet with a 10mm dyneema one and the smaller diameter certainly helps with the furling. We have also replaced all the stanchion pulleys for the furling line with ball bearing pulleys. Finally we don't use the 2:1 purchase either as we have found that it is unnecessary and definitely adds to the total friction in the system. 
The thing that we have found that has the most impact on the ease of furling is the halyard tension, the more tension the harder it is to furl it. The other thing to do is regularly clean and re-grease the top and bottom swivels / bearings.
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 10:31
The only issue that one might encounter by omitting the 2:1 system to the sail is that it will increase the load where the sheet enters on to the pulley in the mast. I managed to collapse the mainsail pulley at the top of the mast on my 311 when I changed to laminate sails & halyards. Although a much smaller boat, it is still relative & I doubt that Hanse builds  lots of "reserve" into the design.  It also adds greater load to the block at the mast base & deck organsers, but that would be less of a problem & it is easier to replace.
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 10:35
Originally posted by 32mike 32mike wrote:

Any opinions/ experience out there on there on which hole to use for the jib sheet.? I started in the middle. Then moved it where it is to maybe reduce twist but it seems to have made it harder to furl. Thinking that “medium” was the better choice.

Depends entirely on the cut of the sail. What suits one sail will not necessarily suit another.
Halyard tension becomes more important to furling issues as the gear begins to wear. Slacken it a bit prior to furling as suggested above.
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
32mike View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 14:54
I think I figured out that the furling difficulty is grease (or lack of) related. So, Seldén sells a tube of Furlex grease. Two questions:

What alternative product would work?
Barring purchasing a grease gun, does anybody recommend a tool/method for “injecting” the grease into the bearings?
Mike
S/V Dulces Sueños
458 #087
Tampa, FL
Issywa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issywa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 15:10
I also have sail and furling difficulties on my 430e.

I’ve been playing with which clew point to use and am starting to think that the answer is to get a new 110 or so sail and discontinue using the self tracker.

Regarding the furling, I’ve changed blocks in an attempt to reduce friction but have not noticed any significant difference other than my wallet is lighter. I also don’t use the 2:1 sheeting between the sail and self tracker. I need to use a winch to furl which leads me to believe that the furling unit might need to be cleaned and lubricated. That’s my next venture.
Etre Jeune View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Etre Jeune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2022 at 13:28
same issue for me, I was advised to hose out the bottom bearing, with fresh water, then spray in salt away or similar.  That is the easy was to flush out the salt residue. Then spray in some lube.  And rinse again regularly if you ocean sail. And halyard tension too, but it show up more with a dry salty bearing.
R Stock
PekkaL View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PekkaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 08:19
Regarding my (H371) Furlex furler: the bearings appear to work for horizontal loads but not vertical loads.

I have chosen to use a 10mm dyneema jib/genua halyard and tighten it only after unfurling the the jib/genua, and loosen it already before furling. Since that I've had no issues: the furling / unfurling effort is minimal compared to earlier.

With the dyneema halyard the difference between loosened and tightened sail is just a few centimetres: the loosened halyard does not get tangled when (un)furling.

With the original 12mm non-dymeema stretching halyard estimating the tightening and untightening was difficult: having too much loose on the halyard it wraps over itself, having not enough the halyard puts high vertical load to the furler resulting bearings not working as intended. The thick rope also had more friction, making estimating the halyard tightness difficult.
Pekka Leppanen, "Vedette"
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 16:14
Using 10mm Dyneema versus the original 12mm braid-on-braid polyester does help. I find the 2:1 setup works best on our 400e. On the STJ I regularly use additional standard jib sheets to act as either preventers downwind or tweakers upwind. That takes the pain out of picking the right hole for a given situation.  

With age, the original Facnor furler did get harder to furl & eventually needed a winch if there was significant pressure in the sail. Swapped to a Profurl furler a couple of seasons ago and the STJ can be furled by hand easily. Even the 54SqM of Genoa can be furled by hand in reasonable wind strengths. 

Mark

Edited by Mark_J1 - 27 September 2022 at 16:15
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>