myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle position with folding prop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARDEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle position with folding prop
    Posted: 07 December 2022 at 18:30
Ahoi sailors, 

this may sound stupid but...we found it hard to put our throttle in reverse to fold the folding prop when sailing, engine (Yanmar 21hp) off. Our Yanmar-handbook says it should be left in neutral. That is what we did. Our old Volvo required, however, to put it in reverse. 

I just want to make sure that neural is what everyone else does with a Yanmar saildrive and that it folds the prop and protects the gearbox. Somehow it does not feel right...

perry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2022 at 20:37
Stopping Engine and engageing a gear [reverse] basically stops the prop and it then folds. When you just push out of gear and stop engine, most times the centrifugal forces keep prop open and the water stream keeps it spinning. Once stopped it usually stays folded, and you may like to engage neutral. depending on shape of folded prop it may spin up again, so reverse seems good fix all  idea.
Perry
Bloto-4 H315[2007]
Cowes
Isle of Wight
Current Yacht Hanse 315 2007
Last Yacht Hanse 301 Round GB in 2017
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 03:34
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
ARDEA View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARDEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 09:23
Thanks! That is what I though. However, my Yanmar manual does not mention folding props and just tells me to leave the lever in neutral when under sail. I will certainly ask my motor guy if the new Yanmar is in any way different (hard to believe...)
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 18:03
I have Yanmar 57hp with 3blade folding prop  and it definitely requires the gearbox to be put in reverse when sailing.  If you don't you can hear the whine from the prop turning.
The Hanse owners manual also makes this clear.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
perry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 21:05
my current Yanmar has SD 25 therefore has dog clutches.
I understand the Larger Yanmar SD50 SD have history of problems with the cone clutches. I can see no problems with dog clutch designs either with neutral gear and fixed prop spinning or reverse gear locking a fixed prop. Apart of course the noise of spinning gears when sailing. With a folding or feathering prop it should be stopped and folded[feathered] by engaging agear to stop autorotation as per my previous comments, and the Yanmar manual see from Captain Cook post.
Perry

Edited by perry - 09 December 2022 at 08:30
Current Yacht Hanse 315 2007
Last Yacht Hanse 301 Round GB in 2017
ARDEA View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARDEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2023 at 18:34
Hello sailors, 

the issue has now been addressed by both, our dealer and our engine expert/workshop. The background is, that the still unfolded prop is rotating quite easily when under sail. Given the fact that we are ambitious and super fast sailors Wink it is no wonder that the rpm of the prop under sail prevents us from shifting. The solution is to turn the engine off while the transmission is still engaged (if this is correct English at all), no matter whether in forward or backward. This will prevent the prop from spinning and help to fold it. We only need to be sure to switch to neutral before starting the engine again....

Norbert
 Post Reply Post Reply