myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running rigging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanthijsse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running rigging
    Posted: 02 January 2023 at 18:49
Hi All, 

I’ve recently purchased a Hanse 301 (Seascape). She is due to come out of the water in a months time for a few weeks and want to do a bit of maintenance work on her. I am looking at replacing all the running rigging. Instead of removing all the running rigging and measuring the lengths and diameters of each rope, does anyone know if there is a “rigging guide” which has this all laid out or has anyone replaced their full running rigging recently that knows the measurements? I had a quick search through the forum and the 301 manual and I have not managed to find anything. 

Looking forward to some sailing this season in the Solent. 

Cheers, 

Sean
redlion View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2023 at 10:29
It,s not over till the fat lady drowns
seanthijsse View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanthijsse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2023 at 10:43
Thank you! Very helpful. Do you happen to know the dimensions of the rest of the running rigging (halyards, outhaul, traveller lines, etc.)?

redlion View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2023 at 10:52
Sorry no, but I would imagine if you know the mast hight then a rigging supplier like Jimmy Green will have a formula for the lengths you will need and will also be able to advise on the best rope to use. Good luck.
It,s not over till the fat lady drowns
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2023 at 12:38
Personally I would check how your existing running rigging suits your needs. Sit & decide if you can improve layout etc ie bring the topping lift & vang back to the cockpit. Re route the barbour haulers. Renew the backstay adjuster to dynema with friction rings & omit the blocks & thick old lines, Same with the vang. Re arrange traveller control lines.Reef system  & if such improvements need any changes in lengths diameters, colours, types etc.
Then remove them & check against the major manufacturers charts such as Lyros & Marlow to see if anything can be updated. Make sure that you do not skimp on lengths.
Then go out & buy. Perhaps from your local chandler, or from one of the mainstream internet suppliers, with established names.
I would never go by anybody else's dimensions. Most sailors have their own ideas on what they think is right & 10:1 in some cases it will include a botch. You need to make your own decision on length etc.
By all means take hints & tips but do not take them as gospel

Edited by samuel - 03 January 2023 at 12:50
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanthijsse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2023 at 15:42
Thanks Samuel. 
Bitbaltic View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitbaltic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2023 at 18:45
I’d advise getting a rigger to take a look. Firstly, they will supply the lines you need at a price likely just as good as you’ll track down yourself. Secondly, they’ll be able to optimise line size, material and layout in a way you won’t be able to do yourself. For instance, I completely revamped my 301’s running rigging nearly 10 years ago (!) with the local rigger. We did some radical and nowadays very expensive stuff (changed out all four winches for Harken 35.2 for instance) but he also recommended downsizing lines to dyneema (for instance, we use 10mm dyneema for halyards and 6mm dyneema for reefs) and this has had a massive impact on sail handling. A professional eye will be worth the money.
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2023 at 13:51
You can easily work out the length of the main halyard, by hoisting a length of rope up the mast, then making the necessary measurements on the deck.  On the basis that the major wear point is over the mast head pulley. then make the main halyard slightly over long so you can chop a section off at that wear point.  I reverse my halyards every 3-4 years to even out the wear.  Make the jib halyard the same length as the main halyard and then you can switch them over, again prolonging their life. 

When I purchased my yacht, I found that it was actually cheaper to purchase a full 100m drum of dyneema for the halyards, than to actually purchase specific lengths.  I still have a spare halyard in the loft, but you could just use the excess for other lines. The old halyards are now my spinnaker halyards.

Re, Samuel's suggestions, you can double stack deck organisers for extra lines and then you just need to check the position of the deck reinforcement if you want to add more clutches. Improving the back stay adjuster is really useful. 
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2023 at 13:43
If you are thinking of running some lines back to the cockpit but have limited clutches the enclosed pictures of my solutions may be of use. I have 2 clam cleats in which lines can be interchanged. So I can swop the cunningham, the MOB uphaul line, the 3rd reef line at will. The topping lift is permanently mounted on a plate in front of the winch. I copied the idea from the Figaro fleet. A dynema loop goes round the winch & inspite of what one might think it does not affect the operation of the winch & has not worn the dynema in 8 years of use. A thin dynema holds the front. There are 2 rubber buffers under the front to hold it up. I can use the winch to hoist the boom or pull it by hand as I wish. It saves additional deck holes & the complete arrangement is cheaper than 3 clutches

Edited by samuel - 06 January 2023 at 13:47
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanthijsse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2023 at 16:22
Thanks all. I have discussed with my local rigger and will be replacing a fair bit of the running rigging (halyards, topping lift, mainsheet, furling line, kicker and backstay). I am happy to share the specs of them all once replaced. I already have pretty much everything I need running to the cockpit (4 clutches on either side) but your set-up is very clever. 

Regards, 

Sean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>