myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

short ruder for Hansa 370e

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotHuski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: short ruder for Hansa 370e
    Posted: 09 February 2023 at 17:25
Hello everyone, I have such corrosion on ruder
  fixed by welding welding tig 
this aluminum alloy is cooked very well
maybe it will be useful for someone

Hansa370e
Viktor
PilotHuski View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotHuski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 17:33
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1xyWtPdyUdBWaSiy6

Edited by PilotHuski - 09 February 2023 at 17:34
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 06:29
Photos link does notwork
Maybe you can Ad it here in this forum
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotHuski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 15:40
to see the photos, the link must be copied Unfortunately, it is not clickable
Fraser View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 21:27
Hi Viktor,

I have to say that  the photos of the repair look very good.
Would you be prepared to share the costs.
The previous owner of my own 415 replaced the rudder last year, due to similar corrosion.
The cost of the replacement rudder was 2,500 Euro.
I'm just curious regarding the cost of each option.
Many thanks.

Best regards
Fraser
Fraser
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotHuski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 14:05
Hello
Well, I paid only 200 euros for welding
but the whole repair I think it will cost about 500 euros, this is together with a new one and epoxy
because I had to open it to get to the corrosion.
The repair yard refused to make repairs by welding.
They said this is impossible.
They suggested to just cover the corroded surface with epoxy.
But this did not solve the problem of loss of strength.
I am a welding engineer.
This particular alloy lends itself well to welding.
But it is important to use the correct welding wire. (TIG)
Sincerely, Victor
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 17:03
Fraser - EUR2500 sounds incredibly cheap. If you're considering a new rudder I've just paid £6000 for a new-build for my H400 with new stock, fittings, installation, sea trials, warranty etc.  While Jefa were quoting just over £2800 ex-VAT just for the rudder the ancillary costs would have been a good deal higher.  I paid to keep more control over the design and build process by using a local Yard with a good reputation for such builds, tweaking it for strength and performance.  In any replacement, the old rudder has to be cracked open first and detailed measurements taken; Jefa stated that each one was different and any replacement must be boat-specific, which came as a surprise to me.  The costs of this have to be factored in and if you buy from Jefa, there's delivery costs with potential delays.  I don't mean to disrespect Jefa at all; they're a fine company that builds good stuff but as the costs were going to be high whatever I did I opted for the advantages of local build. 

Iain
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PilotHuski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 17:14
about welding
For information ; Aluminium alloy 6082
TIG welding
TIG filler wire should be as close as possible in chemical composition

Kymo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2023 at 11:10
Iain - My Hanse 400 Kymo is from 2009 so I am very interested in the issues you are finding during refit. Would it be possible to put them up on the site?

I hope Ratbasher will be ready before the start of the season.

Good luck,

Wijnand
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2023 at 15:52
Hi Wijnand - I'll be very happy to; it might help with the Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder suffered as result of finding issue after issue.  Keel test with possible removal on 22 February although I'm still hopeful to get everything complete by Easter.  Not sure which Easter, though.....

Thanks!

Iain
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>