myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cockpit vhf radio extension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoldcodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cockpit vhf radio extension
    Posted: 02 March 2023 at 18:21
Have any 312 or 315 owners fitted an extension VHF handset in to the cockpit area. I am in the process of deciding where the best place is to fit one. It does need room behind to accommodate the wiring end fittings. Any thoughts as to the optimum place - or where have you placed yours if you have one.
Many thanks -Julian ISOTOPE H312
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 14:38
I have a 2007 Hanse 315 with wheel and pedestal and a Standard Horizon remote handset socket located in the binnale that has my GPS and auto pilot controls mounted.  Contact me if you need details
Kox View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 08:39
Julian, if I remember correctly, "Isotope" is tiller steered, right?

I don't have a stationary VHF, but I have a garmin 315i black box VHF incoming, so I face the same dilemma as you.
I almost never use the chart table - it is almost a waste of space. For me it doesn't make sense, to have a VHF there.

When the box arrives, I'll have to see about cable lengths and so on. But my initial favourite is to place the cable exit above the companionway with the rest of the instruments, marked "1". The handset cradle I would place the same place, and maybe have a rubber thingy to let it dangle from the sprayhood "3" when in an area where communication is used, to bring it closer to the tiller. It might interfere with the port side winch, but after the genakker is hoisted, I rarely use the winch.
With "1" I have to remove the handset when leaving the boat, which is doable but somewhat annoying.

Alternatively, I might place the handset around "2", but I fear, that someone might bump into it during sailing in animated weather. 
I can leave the handset in all the time.

I don't fancy having instruments on the bulkheads.

Hanse 315, Ella, Hull# 640
Theoldcodger View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoldcodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 19:01
Thanks for your message - indeed Isotope is tiller steered. When I bought the boat she did and still does have a fixed VHF by the nav table. Most of the time I use a handheld VHF for marina entry comms etc. Sometimes it is useful to have the more powerful set when on passage.

My chart plotter screen is on the port bulkhead next to the companionway which is a good spot by the way. The back of it and its wiring is in a box attached to the opposite side of the bulkhead in the heads. That also works well. I quite like the idea of mounting my extension handset in your position 2 - but I take your point about someone catching on it as they go below. The other place I am thinking about is in the curve of the bulkhead kind of below where you have your winch.

Do you keep your spray hood up at all times? I don't and thus would not want to place my screen where you have yours - hence the bulkhead positioning.

You have given me another thought and that is to place the VHF extension above the companion way. A possible answer although not so easy to  reach from the tiller.....Hmm lots of thinking to do.

I'll share this conversation with my engineer chum who is doing the work for me  - aren't I lucky!

Many thanks and I am sure we'll arrive at a good solution. I'll let you know - ATB Julian
Ian Coverdale View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Coverdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 11:27
We replaced useless SIMRAD wireless remote system supplied by Hanse with new system with wired cockpit remote.

Routing cable to cockpit (h445) was a challenge made slightly difficult by interconnecting cable connectors and cable being ~1m too short! To aid installation, we cut cable roughly in the middle so any joint would fall in the aft cabin. This allowed cable to be routed from each end without hinderance of the connectors. We then jointed the cable which consisted ~6-8 small wires plus a small screened audio cable so we used a length of 8-core screen signal cable plus a single screened audio cable, all soldered and neatly heatshrinked. If you are reasonably confident with a soldering iron, don't to shy of cutting the cable.

Cheers.
Ian & Andrea
SV Gabrielle (H445)
Liveaboards - currently Gosport UK for winter 2023/24.
www.facebook.com/sailinggabrielle
Derek Mayhew View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derek Mayhew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 10:47
We have a Garmin wireless remote in a cradle on the port side just outboard of the curve.  This seems fine with the added advantage of having no wiring or trailing cable when in use.
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Coverdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 12:16
Suggest usefulness of wireless system depends on your cruising. 

We regularly do passages of two nights plus, sometimes with family/friend aboard and ditched the wireless for wired. Three reasons:-

(1) The battery lasts 24-hours at best ... frequently found it dead battery. There is no shelter at our helm positions for charging cradle.

(2) The thing kept going missing. Often in the off-duty crew's jacket, maybe in galley next to kettle or even in the head.

(3) They are vulnerable ... and very expensive to repair or replace. Ours was damaged by lazorette lid.

It's a nice idea and very sexy in our wireless world ... but it's a valuable piece of safety kit and we couldn't rely on it. For other scenarios like day-sailing or with more disciplined crew, it probably works very well.

Ian & Andrea
SV Gabrielle (H445)
Theoldcodger View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoldcodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 19:24

Ian, Just seen your useful contribution to the vhf in the cockpit discussion. Where in the cockpit did you end up fixing your wired hand set.
FYI I keep a portable handheld VHF with velcro attached and fix it to another velcro strip on the side of the bulkhead adjacent to the companion way - or it is in my pocket! both positions work well.
All the best and thanks for the contribution.
Julian Isotope H312
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Coverdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 19:59
Hi Julian,

I'm a believer that VHF should ideally be accessible by helmsman/helmswoman. Some watches, he/she may be only person awake and the boat is managed from helm. 

Our boat is not a 312 so wheel/binnacle/instruments may be different. The wired handset plug/socket is mounted below chartplotter in central binnacle where cable is long enough to reach either helm position. Routing cable did take a couple of hours.

Cheers.
Ian & Andrea
SV Gabrielle (H445)
rehfett View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rehfett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 09:46
Having a Hanse 315/2006
I have an additional handset located just below the Motor Panel near steering wheel.
Working well for me since years now.

http://la-guapa-sy.de/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>