myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chalky blue hull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stringers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chalky blue hull
    Posted: 17 March 2023 at 19:05
Hi,

Apologies as I'm sure this has been covered already (I did do a search but couldn't find much). I'm preparing for 301 'Serendipity's arrival on a trailer in 2 weeks (will pop up some pics) and looking at some maintenance stuff- The hull is dark blue - is it painted or the gelcoat itself pigment dyed? Does anyone know how to effectively restore its colour & gleam? I'll be doing some single handed sailing as well as with young kids so probably going to stick with the smaller self-tacking Jib but any advice here here would be welcome. Still haven't worked out where to put the 9" plotter!
Stringers View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stringers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 19:29
UPDATE - found a few articles with other sized Hanse users, I was only looking through this group! Seems a light sand and a nano coating will see the finish through - or else repaint!
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 19:39
Stringers,

Depends on how chalky your blue is. You need to find out if it is blue gelcoat or blue painted. If gelcoat you will probably be able to get the shine back on it. Try a rubbing compound first, then a polish and then a wax. Sand only as a last alternative - use the finest wet and dry sand paper you can get 2000 grit or even 3000 grit the a rubbing compound, polish and then wax. If it is paint it will probably not be thick enough to try sanding. If you need to recoat you could also look at a vinyl wrap which could be cheaper than a good repaint. 

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
redlion View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 10:12
It,s not over till the fat lady drowns
sailingfree View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sailingfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 11:17
Hi I can recommend the self tacker for single handed sailing. I have a large Genoa which I used for racing but to be honest when I’m on my own, which is usual nowadays the self tacker just makes life easier. The downside is that downwind it’s pretty much useless. So tacking downwind is usually quicker, or on longer passages pole the jib or even get a spinnaker up. 
Bitbaltic View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitbaltic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 20:37
When we started we had the factory self tacker from East sails. Not a well made sail and it was 10 years old but it was generally okay. It is underpowered for the boat and I swapped it for a 110% Genoa. Have never flown the original jib since and if needed it can go on the ST track if rolled away to about 60%.

The real issue is the boat not the sails. The 301 goes upwind better (far, far better) than any boat I have ever sailed or sailed upwind in company with. So it’s worth maximising that with a slightly bigger foresail (which should be laminate). Downwind, the 301 is not so good and sail choice has less impact as you indicate. There’s not really much difference between job and Genoa downwind. For us the biggest difference has been replacing human helms with the autopilot which makes quite a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply