myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrusters... What's wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 19:13
Indeed, I too would be interested to hear from someone in the forum who has adjusted/maintained the springs/cables/switches and/or measured alignment of the shaft.

In light of Piero's challenge, I just referred to the manual, which makes something complicated sound simple.  Way too simple with what I think are unmentioned, unintended consequences of getting it wrong.  The manual seems to only address the door position rather than shaft alignment.  Or maybe it is simple if you are out of the water and you have another person to assist you.

To properly determine the close position for the switch, it sounds like move the switch out of position, close the door using the either the manual control buttons or the controller (which is confirmed by someone outside confirming that the door is completely closed), then adjusting the switch inward until the middle LED turns red.  But is there risk of damaging something by trying to over-close it?

For the open, the manual seems to want to make sure the door doesn't over-open and pinch the hull.  That sounds more difficult to confirm in the water and doesn't at all discuss the shaft alignment or how to inspect/measure it if that is the more important thing to monitor. Similar, adjust that switch until the middle LED turns green.  But where is the right spot, really, and how do you know?

Lastly, I know that you & Leon have made note of the potentiometer/current rotary switch that limits how aggressively the actuator pulls/pushes.  So, I'm curious how this should/should not factor into making sure it has the current necessary to do the job but avoiding risk of damage during deploy/retract.
Jon
S/V Lyn
2017 Hanse 588 | Hull 19 | Deep draft | 150hp | 220v & 110v systems | Lithium House Bank
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 07:10
in my case, the homocinetic joint were broken 3 times, twice on the stern, once on the front, until Quick modified and delivered a new homocinetic version.
In order to replace them, I had to lift up the boat and the job has been done by 2 people, one under the boat and another one inside to adjust the different points according to the guy's indications outside.

For the actuators shafts, the replacement of both, one in front one in stern, we could do it with the boat into the water, where all adjustments has been done, but to be really certain that the doors were well adjusted, a final control and adjustment needed again to lift up the boat. So same process, in fact, for both repairs....
The shafts actuators received a modification from Quick. The replaced the inside plastic screw with a bronze one.

About the modified version of the homocinetic joint, the added a little stop screw to avoid the joint to get out of the shaft. And since then the deliver this new version when you order the part, same as for the actuator shaft.

I hope this helps....
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 07:30
Thank you mana. I am afraid I am in the situation where both actuators has switched adjusted but the boat was never taken out of water... So I am exposing myself to the failure, I if it has not already happened... In your experience, did the mechanical parts have a long delivery time? 
Hanse588#55
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 07:42
Hi Piero, PM me your phone Number and i call you to explain it'll be faster...
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 06:53
.. And the answer to the mistery was :

1) A broken fuse, broken meaning that the flap of the fuse was broken below the gray housing, I and the fuse through the window seemed intact 

2) blocked ball bearings. Still due the flooding, more than a year ago, the winter stop affected those ball bearings that were in the area that got salted water, and despite they worked for a year (more or less) they were fused in the bottom part of the block

As usual, two problems together seem a mystery. Our brains are designed to think that there is one problem at a time. 

Now everything works. Stealing the words from the nice British guy that fixed my motor, I remind you the best advice ever for a sailor :

"KEEP IT DRY"

I wish I followed it earlier... 
Hanse588#55
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 07:35
Excellent news Piero! and good infos for all of us, thanks!
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 09:13
Piero, I’m glad to hear that your motor could be fixed and saved you the painful prospect of sourcing a new one !!
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123