myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT - Cable safety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMPORTANT - Cable safety
    Posted: 25 May 2023 at 17:30
As the refit reported at Lessons from a refit - myHanse - Hanse Yachts Owners Forum - Page 1 completes, a further issue was identified that may affect the electrical safety of all Hanses, whatever the model.

In the course of rewiring for new equipment, the large cables bringing power from the batteries were separated from the cable-ties that were holding thick bundles of wires together.  I was amazed - and most concerned - to find that some cables immediately fell out of the metal crimps attached to the fixings holding them onto the busbar.  It seems that rather than being properly crimped, the metal parts had simply been hit with something, possibly a hammer.  Once the cable-ties were released, the pressure keeping the wires in the crimps was released and the whole lot just fell apart.

The implications for fire as well as sudden loss of all power is obvious.  It may be that my boat is just a 'Friday afternoon' build but the danger is that this sloppy construction practice is more widespread.  Strongly recommend that all owners inspect the crimps on all large cables for similar failures.

H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 23:31
Wow. That is inexcusable and shameful. I’ve done a lot of wiring on my boat and have been in all parts of the electrical system and have found no issues. Actually the work was top notch. I’m guessing things have improved at the factory since 2008. Thanks for the heads up.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Ian Coverdale View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Coverdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 08:08
Suspect Hanse contract out electrical harnesses manufacture however you would expect installer to note such quality failings. 

Agree with Arcadia, our electrical system is to a good standard however we've had a few issues (2013 boat), one of which could be similar to your poorly crimped crimps:-

(1) Negative wire from generator to 'klein' PCB below nav station went open-circuit under the floor in a totally in accessible route ...  and this was a pretty chunky 35mm2 cable. Managed to pull half-cable out from generator side to find badly corroded end. Must have been a butt crimp under floor in wet/moisture which also may not have been crimped properly.

(2) Autopilot gets power from cockpit fridge wiring as original circuit breaker to autopilot wire has opened circuit negative. Fridge wire is of a smaller gauge so not totally happy with this ... and why did that negative go open-circuit?

(3) Adjacent to engine at low level on port side is a very large bundle of Wago nut connectors vulnerable to any engine leaks or coolant over-fills. I've soldered and heat-shrinked all these connections.

Thanks for warning.
Ian & Andrea
SV Gabrielle (H445)
Liveaboards - currently Gosport UK for winter 2023/24.
www.facebook.com/sailinggabrielle
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 09:04
Very pleased that Leon & Ian have had different experiences.  It seems that build quality is inconsistent, not just across the range but within the boat.  I've replaced a lot of untinned wiring myself, particularly in the mast and to the lower nav lights where the wires had corroded for about a metre.  I'm wondering about the cost-effectiveness of a complete rewire in the near future, going over to the CAN bus system as the complexity of everything increases.  

On the plus side it seems that the structural integrity of the build itself is very strong indeed. The Yard that sorted out the keel said that despite decades of doing such work they'd never seen a keel so solidly attached. 
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 23:04
Good catch!  I like the idea of going to canbus wiring and switching in principal. I’ve noted a couple of YouTubes re C-zone switching. 

I’ve not had a main connection to the busbar break away. However, I’ve got into the habit of running a laser thermometer across the various high amperage connections when underway or when high draw gear like the inverter is in use. I’ve picked up a a couple of connections going high resistance (& hot) from corrosion in  that way.  Battery charger fuse to fuse holder was the Last one. 

I actually have half a mind to rework the stater battery setup on our 400e anyway. It’s a poor design to have about 4m of cable between engine & start battery (& that one did catch me out with a high resistance connection behind the starter!). A neat waterproof battery box could sit below the main companionway instead. I could then fit an additional LiFePO4 battery in the main battery box. 

Mark
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 08:52
Laser thermometer? What a clever idea; fire prevention is my top priority onboard and being able to easily identify a failing cable/connection would go a way towards that.  I'd only seen them used for pointing at people's heads in the panicdemic but that's today gadget now bought; thanks Mark.

I too have thought about the 'do-ability' of moving the engine battery nearer to the engine but the only feasible site seems to be below the steps which might present a nuisance.  Not sure but I'll give it more thought.

Post Reply Post Reply