myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at buying a Hanse 371

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_Sprason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at buying a Hanse 371
    Posted: 12 July 2007 at 11:18

Hi All

I am new to this forum so don’t bite! I am currently trying to get my father to purchase a Hanse 371, we are up-grading from a Salder 29 due to wanting more space and a greater ability to go further, easier cruising etc etc

I am a naval architect student in my final year of university so have a done a few basic comparisons based on hull parameters, sail areas and displacement against other boats such as Bavaria, Beneteau and Dufour; the Hanse seems to fair pretty well.  How would you say they compare (some type of league table perhaps?).

Basically I am looking for your views from the real owners; based on sailing ability, user friendliness, seaworthiness (how good do the boats fair in anything above a force 7?) Also I am keen to know how many versions of the 371 have been produced... i.e when did changes occur to the design. Is there a particular year to look for as we will be buying second hand. Finally what kind of price should one be paying as well?

We are based in Plymouth, UK.

All help much appreciated.

Rob

idlewild View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlewild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 12:53
Hi Rob
I'm new too! We've had our 371 (#155) for four years now and are very glad we chose it. I can only make a direct comparison with the Sun Odyssey 37, which we have chartered, and the Hanse is an infinitely better sailing boat, especially in heavy weather. It's fast and agile, regularly showing 8-9 knots in F4. (We have fitted a bigger genoa). Can't5 comment on what she's like in a F8, but in a 7 I wish I'd had the third reef fittedLOL. I also live in Plymouth so e-mail me and I'll have a chat.
Mike
Brightside View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brightside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 19:14
Hi Rob.
From summer 02 onwards the 371 go more headroom. I have the earlier version hull 106 and at 6' find the headroom OK. Two aft cabins or larger port aft cabin plus large locker to S/B was on option. I think a larger gally area and or second shower was also an option. Can't think of anything else just to add that the 371 seems to be a well regarded yacht. Practical Boatowner gave the 371 a glowing boat test. Copies available online from PBO/Yachting Monthly. Owner satisfaction.....mines not for sale .

Regards
Mike
Clivian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 21:05
We have a 2005 371 - one of the last ones to be built.
Sailing wise she is very good - a couple of weeks ago we were in 2 races and won both of them.
She is not heavy on the helm and is a pleasure to sail.
We have been out in a force 8 - no problem, granted the wind and tide were behind us and with only the self tacking jib fully out we were doing a good 9/10 knots at times.
Poole to Gosport - very fast!!!!
Accomodation - we have the 3 cabin version.
Having had 6 people on board the cockpit has loads of room and below decks there is ample space to move about.
We sleep in the fore cabin - plenty of space and nice and airy.
We do have a cockpit awning which makes rainy/windy mooring a lot more comfortable and adds to the accomodation.
Nice not to have to go below when the foul weather arrives and as you can imagine, over the past few weeks has been worth its wieght in gold..
Go for a 371 - but then I am biased.....

Sue Wink

Hans de Man View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans de Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 21:49
I'm one of the oldies looking at our experience with 371. We got our boat in 2001 and sailed it in all kinds of weather. In winds above 3 Bf it is performing well under mainsail and self tacker. In lighter winds you definitely need a larger Genoa but then it also is fats. I sailed the boat in 7-8 Bf from the Netherlands to UK almost single handed (the rest of the crew was seasick) and It still was easy to sail under slghtly reefed self tacker and second reef in the mainsailBig%20smile. The 371 is well built and easy to handle and you can really make a good result in matches (make sure your water tank is almost empty as it is in a lousy place under the bed in the front cabin Cry). Two weeks ago we sailed a match against a Bavaria 37 he only saw our stern from the beginning our average speed was in average more than 1,5 knots faster at 5 Bf. wind.
After 6 years we are still very satisfied with the ship!
andy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 21:06
Hi . Just noticed your question. I have owned a Hanse 371 for 3 years brought it new at the boat show. If you are still considering buying one, go for it they are fantastic. I have cruised and raced mine in the Irish sea  and found it to be very fast and also a capable seaboat. The wife and  i have done battle with constant foul weather and have come through with out a glitch the worst last year was in constant 48knots of wind with stronger gusts and massive seas, a bit of a nightmare. The boat performed superbly apart from not being able to put the kettle on for 15 hours.
good luck
CERULEAN View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CERULEAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 12:32
Can you tell me your big genoa size?
I want to fit one on my 371 hanse yacht, I have lift keel.
Thank you.
If you want you can talk me by msn uveiele@hotmail.com or my mail hcp102@ono.com
Hans de Man View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans de Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 21:01
We have a 125% genoa.
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 23:10
I have Hanse 371-092 with the single aft cabin, and the separate stall shower. The shower is seldom used as a shower but makes a great wetlocker/pantry.

We have a 149% genoa (Elvstrom Endurance) which sets well and provides great drive in light winds. I have used it single-handed but it will wear you out if tacking often.

This year I replaced the stock self-tacking jib with a new Elvstrom hi-tech version with vertical battens and some roach (the original had a hollow leach despite small vertical battens). Unlike the old sail which was very flat and shapeless in the head this one has a perfect foil shape from top to bottom.

The difference in performance is remarkable. Since I put this sail on I haven't bothered with the big genny. In light winds we now move much better, and in stronger winds point higher as the new sail hold its shape well. I need to replace the halyards with Spectra as they do stretch in strong winds.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Westcoast View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westcoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 18:45
Hi Grahame

We have Hanse 371 #275 and are very interested in more details about your self-tacking jib from Elvstrom (size etc).

/Westcoast
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>