myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

contaminated fuel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: contaminated fuel
    Posted: 03 May 2008 at 08:18
After getting a thorough drenching in a F7 on thurs,we tried to attempt next leg,but lost power,after returning to port and after investigation by engineer was told we had contaminated fuel..
Has anyone else suffered this as i find it hard to believe as its a new 430 only topped up once.
Is there some other way that water could get in..heating failed as well...grrrrr.
Terry
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 19:08

it happens often that the water is comming trough the filling opening when the cap is not closed hard enough

I heard this happend on some boats in holland
greetings marcel
Terry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 20:18
No that was as tight  as adrum.
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 21:15
Hi,
IMHO contamination with water would be dealt by the water trap and the fuel filter , unless of course the contamination was severe. Usually the fuel gets contaminated by the diesel bug (a microbe that livesDead in diesel fuel). This happens if we let the diesel tanks half empty during winter. The space above the fuel level is connected to the outside humid air through the tank vent and the fuel gets contaminated. Another source of contamination would be leftovers by the tank producer - I understand that the boat is new.
Did the engineer tell you what was the contaminant? (water,salty water, dirt etc?)
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
Terry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 22:25
Panos,all he has said so far is that is water.I am still waiting to hear.
The tank was always 3/4 s full over winter>
He did say there was a lot of water in it though.
I await the outcome and his finding .Also what he is going to do apart from the normal drain replace filters and pump.

Terry
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 18:10
Hi,
Is there any water left to check if it is sea or fresh water in the tank?
IMHO besides replacing filters and possibly pump you should find and correct the cause else...Dead.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 19:38
check the rubber gasget on the cap if it is thick enough.
What i meant in my earlyer comment is that there is comming water trough the little hole that is in the cap that should be tightend y closing the cap hard.
On the top of the cap you lift out a flip to turn the cap , in there there is a little pin and that can get some water throug!
Check it out and you will see if that is possible , it happens to some people a few Years ago in the Netherlands.
greetings Marcel

Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 21:36

Elaborating on what Marcel was saying....

There was an issue with some filler caps where it didn't matter how tight you sealed it off. There was a defect in the hinge pin mechanism and there was a small hole that allowed water to flow through the cap into the tank. Most dealers had to fix/replace them. This affected my 400 which was built in the fall 2006, delivered January 2007.
Steve
John Allison View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 12:44
Hi Terry,
We had a similar issue when we took our 461 as new - but suspect it may not be the same cause.
The early 461 had a flush faced breather outlet positioned on the port side of the transom. Stupidly placed directly under the water run off from the deck.  So when motor sailing on stb tack and taking lots of water on deck - it flowed like a waterfall over this flush breather.  As the breather pipe also only had a shallow swans neck as it went below decks, with engine running on a last long leg into Dartmouth, we found we had a significant amount of salt water sucked in.
I'd almost forgotton the drama of trying to sail her into a berth without engine until your post reminded me of the event!
We fixed the problem by draining perhaps 3 litres of sea water and then added a £1 plastic vent cover over the breather.  Hanse once aware, copied the idea and issued similar covers to all other 461 owners for retro fit.
But whatever the cause on your yacht, suggest you get the injectors out and cleaned up as part of the repair process.  We sadly did not - and it was only 3 years later when the engine died in Turkey and the engineers inspected the injectors, they reported the corrosion / damage was obviously caused by water being passed a long time before.
It made our eventual repair costs reach $000's.....
Good luck in sorting it.
JOHN

Edited by John Allison - 09 May 2008 at 04:12
No longer a Hanse owner - but loved the one we had!
Terry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 12:47
John thanks for that I shall check.
regards
Terry
 Post Reply Post Reply