myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ARC 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 16:22
Henrik
You have me totally wrong there
I did not wish to come over as being negative.
Just curious as to why people do it. Do they really know?
If I did it, the biggest thrill would be the uncertainty of departure, then the destination coming over the horizon.
But then after a few days I would be off for another " fix" & St Lucia itself would not be the " pull"
But If i made it to st Lucia I would feel I had "cheated" myself by not sailing home
It is really all down to -- why you want to do it in the first place
Do you just want to say " I crossed the pond" or do you want to feel like a real ocean voyager & finish the loop
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 17:02
I think there are many interesting questions asked in this thread that would be valid not only for ARC but for sailing in general. Maybe we should ask the Webmaster for another section - "Philosophy" - next to "Cruising"?

Johan

PS. And a "Physics Debate" section where galley sink problems are discussed.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 19:20
Ok Johan
I have asked the question but no one has said why
If your sink drained & your swim platform stayed together & your photos & songs sold well ( more chance of that than the swim platform from the look of things!!) & you had the time
Would the ARC be on your list & if so why?
Henrik84 View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henrik84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 19:27
As I said before, I will do ARC because of the challenge to cross the big ocean and then sail in beautiful area.
I love to have challenges in my life and you only live once.
I will also do it to meet alot of new people.

These things have got me to sail ARC in a few years.
/Henrik 
S/Y LaRey
Hanse 320 #430
Gothenburg, Sweden
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2011 at 10:12
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

Ok Johan
I have asked the question but no one has said why

If your sink drained & your swim platform stayed together & your photos & songs sold well ( more chance of that than the swim platform from the look of things!!) & you had the time

Would the ARC be on your list & if so why?

Samuel, the ARC is not on my list. Not for now, at least. If it were, it would be for three reason (to answer you questions):

1. the curiosity to see what it would be like to live on a boat that would be moving night and day for three weeks,

2. the excitement to see land after three weeks,

3. to sail the interesting waters of the Caribbean.

The main reason for not doing the ARC is that it is quite a long trip and if you stress it you will miss a lot of places in your hurry to get to the Canary Islands.

Now, a bigger dream for me would be to sail up the Thames into London. That would be long trip from Stockholm. I dream about mooring in St Catherine's docks and have a pint of lager at Dicken's Inn. But then again, about the time I get there it will probably be turned into a pizzeria.

The talk about the ARC makes me remember when I was in a harbour in Northern Scotland a few years ago. I had sailed there from Norway with a guy in his Dufour 34 (we actually got to know each other at this very forum). We were waiting to start in a race back to Norway when a Norwegian family came into the harbour. They told us that they had been taking a sabbatical year and gone to the Canary Islands and sailed around there. The most common reaction they got from people was "Oh, the Caribbean?" -"No, the Canaries.", "What, the Caribbean?".

You don't always have to travel far to have traveled far.

Johan
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2011 at 18:35
Johan
It is amazing how peoples perceptions of places vary
Having worked near St Catherines & pushed my way to the bar to get served at Dickens inn, I would not give you twopence for the place. But if I had just sailed all the way from Stockholm It would be the greatest place in the world-- Until the buzz wore off & I needed another fix.
Now Scotland -- Hmm actually it's on the retirement list---- & I do know that is beautiful
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2011 at 20:32
I never meant to say that Dickens Inn is the best pub in the world. It is just that it is the nearest to the harbour. I would not sail all the way from Stockholm just to visit Dickens Inn.

Johan
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2011 at 21:30

I really dont think you should have gont to St Catherines, I think it is far to posh for you, Limehouse basin is the place to go, and there you have the bar at the CA or the local bars around the corner.  But or perhaps Samuel, has a better suggestion. WinkLOL

Dave
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Jesterjon View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesterjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2011 at 16:37
Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I have been reading your posts with interest. With my twin brother I have a 385 on order due Jan 12. I have been Watching this years ARC particularly the Hanse 370 in group F. I would one day like to sail the ARC, yes to say I had done it, also to experience the thrill of ocean sailing with a degree of security knowing there are others about, I think a shared experience is often more rewarding than one experienced alone and it all looks fun.

My first challenge will be to learn my new boat which will be on the Clyde NW Scotland.

holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2011 at 16:53
Jesterjon, welcome to the world of myHanse, Nice to see you have chosen a 385, please keep us updated as to how you get on, and your learning curve with it. 
We sailed around the your part of Scotland last year after the 3PYR, and we will be looking at joining the Classic Malt Cruise.
Be great if there was a chance to meet up then.
Also dont forget to get your myhanse burgee.....
Dave
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>