myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ARC 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henrik84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 07:58
Does anyone know about earthquakes around the Canary Islands will affect the ARC in 2011?
/Henrik
S/Y LaRey
Hanse 320 #430
Gothenburg, Sweden
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 10:48
Which year are you looking at doing the ARC Henrik?
Dave
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Eduard View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eduard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 11:54
@Henrik
Two weeks ago I was at Lanzarote (by plane), which is in the north eastern part of the archipelago. Everything was quiet; the earth was not moving.
BTW I have been in two nice marinas there: Marina Rubicon at Playa Blanca + Puerto Calero, which I like most.

I recall that in the beginning of October there where some movements of the earth (vulcano?) in the south western part of the archipelago. It was at the island of El Hierro, I think.

The ARC departs from Gran Canaria, which is in the centre of the archipelago.

Hasta luego!

Edited by Eduard - 08 November 2011 at 11:55
Ed

sy "Nimby" Hanse 342 #611 (2007); white hull, (one) wheel steering, Selden mast & boom, furlex 200S, deep draught, two cabins, traveller in cockpit, DSC VHF, inboard ap, B&G Zeus + Triton (2x)
Henrik84 View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henrik84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 12:29
Dave: I think 2014 or 2015 dependence which boat I have.

Eduard:
They said on the swedish news yesterday that several countries are evacuating people from the islands because of the high intensity of quakes the last days.
I saw several pictures where underwater volcanoes started to emit lava in the water

/Henrik

S/Y LaRey
Hanse 320 #430
Gothenburg, Sweden
Eduard View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eduard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 15:10
If that is true, then I have left Lanzarote just in time.
Ed

sy "Nimby" Hanse 342 #611 (2007); white hull, (one) wheel steering, Selden mast & boom, furlex 200S, deep draught, two cabins, traveller in cockpit, DSC VHF, inboard ap, B&G Zeus + Triton (2x)
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 21:15
Henrik,
I would be looking at 2015 as my earliest, as I need to change my Hanse..
Dave
Henrik84 View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henrik84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2011 at 20:55
Then we do it 2015 together Tongue.
I think i will need a larger boat with more comfort then my 320 before I do ARC.
Maybe 385 or 400. 385 I think have some saftey issues to do the ARC but have alot of comfort.

S/Y LaRey
Hanse 320 #430
Gothenburg, Sweden
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 19:40
Dave,
Take the 301.
Simon
Swanned off
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 13:39
Simon, do you think it is up for it? - in more ways than just robustness.....
Big smile
Dave
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 18:37
In a word , yes.
Ask any one in world cruising they will tell you the small boats have far more fun.
The sail to St.Lucia is a fairly easy affair, the Welsh Sea can be far more of a chalange.
The main catch as I see it is what you do after the ARC; if you are thinking of a year or two in the West Indies chilling out then a 30 ft boat is a bit small as everything is anchoring.
Frieght back and the cost is not a lot less for a baby boat, costs a bomb either way.
Sail on then you are doing a lot of blue water so may be a bit small.
Sail back.
Sell Dancing D in the Carib.
It would be an interesting project to cost out the option of upgrade to a bigger boat against using existing, in money terms your baby Hanse will win hands down, in comfort terms a 460 (for me) is the optimum size.
However the 370 is the only boat I would do it in, as that is what I have.
Simon
Swanned off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>