myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

boot Duesseldorf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 00:30
It's good to hear that Stampe and I rock!

The problem with current (or future) strategies is that it doesn't concern us. We were concerned about the strategy (or reputation) of Hanse shortly before we bought our boat, but it was not quite the same when it was actually built. This is something we had to learn the hard way after it was delivered.

It might have been better if Hanse had concentrated on the production rather than their selling strategies. That's speaking for myself and Stampe. For future customers the current strategy is of great interest, of course.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 06 February 2009 at 00:35
Brad McMaster View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 00:56

I hear you Johan, but alienating the existing owners, is not something that great brands do and without a brand you won’t have a quality business going forward. (Hanse UK gets this that is why they take so much pride in the domestic service) The most revered boat names, take existing customer satisfaction very very seriously and try hard not to cannibalize these customers investment (let’s face it we all like to think there is some residual value still floating down the marina). But let’s not kid ourselves, these are production boats made to a price. But to position one’s self based on price per foot, is a huge mistake long term. Get the production right, make fewer varieties and less mistakes and keep the high end models slightly more aspirational and the rest will follow, but not without hard work of course.

It is, at the end of the day, all in vain I guess as like any listed entity the management is near term focused. They are after all measured on year on year growth and for them that is more volume, regardless of the medium to long term side effects.

Funny though the amount of times we get asked about the boat and how it’s been and more importantly would you buy one again. I have repeatedly and honestly said: “Yes but careful through which dealer you buy it. It will impact your satisfaction.”  But seeing the continuing downward trend, or more importantly, lack of progress in the right direction, not sure how I answer that now?

But don’t get me wrong, we still love our boat (perhaps a little too much!) and love the times we have on board.

GHOST - Hanse 470e - 058
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/ghost/
John Allison View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 08:14
Amen Brad,

Shame to know so many people devoted to their Hanse yachts are feeling the same way.  Selves obviously included.

JOHN
No longer a Hanse owner - but loved the one we had!
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 22:16
Hi,
Without the crisis I would totally agree that offering the 470 without the epoxy hull is not a good idea, and finally would turn against the owners of the company (by devaluing the brand name) and us owners by lowering the value of our investment.
Unfortunately the crisis makes everything different and all companies are fighting for their survival. Nothing is taken for granted any more and if new boat sales drop by more than 30% (which most probably will) some companies will not make it. Hanses idea to eat a bit of the market share of lower quality builders using the lower production cost of cheaper labour, and offering normal quality boats is a certainly step closer to survival. And I certainly wish Hanse to survive this crises, as I am sure all of us also wish.

I love the way Johan is presenting his views (and the picture selection!!!).

Edited by panos - 07 February 2009 at 22:23
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
woolf View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 23:42
just in case someone would like to compare pricing of 540e vs 540... jan 2007 vs dec 2008... please pm with your email. at the end of the day prices are just the same, just epoxy is an extra option now (hardly believable someone would go without epoxy pack with such yacht).

540e (jan 2007) Standard boat as per standard specification: 299k eur

540 (dec 2008) Standard boat as per standard specification: 262.5k eur
+Epoxy Pack: 14k eur
+Teak on side decks and partly on coach roof: 14.9k eur
superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 10:49
I have done the same as Woolf, but with the 470e pricelist from 2008 with the new 2009 pricelist.
The 470 ends up slightly more expensive on the 2009 pricelist if configured identical.
But it feel's a bit like when Porsche started to produce the Cayenne
PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 11:27
Hi Pearl,

I wonder if the price comparisons are based in GBP, EURO,??? as recent FX movements could have material impact on the yoy comparisons.

On a side note do you mean Cayenne or Cayman?

B

GHOST - Hanse 470e - 058
superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 21:39
Brad, i did the comparing in Euro ex. VAT. Since Hanse is based in Euro land, the FX is neutral.

The side note - i meant the Cayenne a non sports car from a sport car brand. It's a different strategy behind this, but the analogy to this discussion is of course the disappointment among the loyal customers when they experience a washout of the brad value.

But after reviewing the pricelist and options I am actually not worried. I don't think we will see many 470 og bigger without the epoxy option.

Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 22:18
Hi Pearl,

Good to hear re the FX. Well it seems that as UK Hanse highlighted in a previous comment that it indeed gets the entry/base price down to hook a potential customer and it is then up to the dealer to on sell the options list.

Like all, i want nothing more than to see Hanse survive and thrive, despite an economic downturn but still the point remains, a maintained, continued and improved underlying quality will surely improve the fortunes of Hanse more than this. We need less stories like this

My fear still remains, not that the value of a 470 will go down or my epoxy hull with be confused with a polyester one; but that the factory doesn't support the local dealers to deal with what are factory issues, both old and new. I feel that this lack of support has resulted in very different experiences across Europe. The difference that has been continually highlighted between the service that some of us have enjoyed and benefited from in the UK and that experienced by those else where.

This should clearly be one of the biggest issues to face a growing company but be one of the easiest to remedy.

PS Pearl i assume you mean "brand" value!!! Wink

Edited by Brad McMaster - 10 February 2009 at 22:21
GHOST - Hanse 470e - 058
superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 23:21
I heard that all Hanse dealers must calculate 1% of the boat value to deal with smaller issues. I dont know if this was his own calculation or the policy of Hanse. But it shows the level of responsibility Hanse put on the local dealers and this is probably the reason for the very different experiences with Hanse.

I know there have been many issues with dissatisfied customers, many described in this forum but the posting with the windows shows that Hanse takes action - even 2 years after delivery. A positive move from Hanse and the dealer helping out!

Oh, and yes - it was "brand" (too fast for the keyboard).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>