myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sheeting the gennaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheeting the gennaker
    Posted: 07 February 2009 at 14:42
Another interesting question that is still puzzeling my head is how to lead all the lines of the gennaker.
  • do I need to use a block at the base of the gennaker? I do have the steel pipe in front to attach it to.
  • Where goes this line to?
  • Do i need to install extra blocks at the side or on the siderails for the sheets?

All tips and maybe some pics are helpfull.

Ron
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 14:47
You need the gennakerpin.  I added a block on this pin and use the jibsheet to connect the gennaker there. So you can lift the gennaker with the jibsheet from the cockpit if needed
You need one extra gennakerblock for each gennakersheet close to the winches in the cockpit (depending on the cut of your gennaker) fixed on the foodrail (correct word??)

Edited by Peter-Blake - 07 February 2009 at 14:48
Blake 370
Zeester View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 14:53
A foodrail must be a great thing, but I think you mean a footrail Wink.
Just to be sure, are you talking about the rails which should also be used for the genuasheets?

Ron
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 16:15
Sorry for my english. Confused

I did not mean the rails used for the genuasheets.
I meant the aluminiumpart at the connection between the hull and the Deck

Edited by Peter-Blake - 07 February 2009 at 16:19
Blake 370
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 21:09
To fly an asymetric spin / gennakar you:

1. The tack (front corner) goes on the existing jib sheet.  Untie from the jib but leave it in the self-tacking track.  You will find it runs nicely to a block on the "steel pipe" on the bow and then up to the tack of the sail.  You can add a special line for the tack line - but since you don't use the gennakar and jib at the same time doubling up works fine.

2. The genakkar sheets run back to blocks fitted either on the pushpit base (there are rings there) or to blocks added to the toerail (or footrail or foodrail).  They then go onto the rear winches.   You can run both sheets at the same time (right round the outside of the boat).  You then gybe with the sail flying out right in front of the boat.  Or you just hook up one sheet at a time and use the snuffer to gybe.  The later saves the problem of the lazy sheet dropping under the bow.

Edited by colincooper - 07 February 2009 at 21:10
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 22:38
@Colin,
What is the use of a tack line. I would connect the tack directly to the "steel pipe", or if the tack should be some distance up (after experimenting as you propose) I would use a fixed length, purpose made, rope with two eyes at the ends.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 22:45
Are we mixing up a asym spinnaker/gennakkar and a genoa?  The asym spinnaker/gennakkar  tack needs to be adjustable.  You tighten it to go more upwind.  A fixed line is possible but not advisable.  Using the jib sheet lets you do this adjustment from the cockpit.
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 00:31
I have been puzzeling with my genacker too. Maybe there pictures can help you out

Setup genacker

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
slomo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 17:51
Originally posted by colincooper colincooper wrote:

Are we mixing up a asym spinnaker/gennakkar and a genoa?  The asym spinnaker/gennakkar  tack needs to be adjustable.  You tighten it to go more upwind.  A fixed line is possible but not advisable.  Using the jib sheet lets you do this adjustment from the cockpit.

I bought a Gennaker last year and had a discussion about the tack line with the sailmaker at this years Duesseldorf boatshow. According to him it is a common misbelief to tighten the tack line when sailing upwind because this will give the sail a fuller shape. 

Mex

Edited by slomo - 09 February 2009 at 17:53
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 18:20
@slomo thats exact what i learned.

If you compare the shape of the curve of the the front of the gennaker you will understand it. On the left the curve is much more visible than in the right picture.

It is the same what you do with your your mast if you want to flatten the mainsail. In stronger winds you tighten the backstay. Than your mast gets a curve. This way you flatten the mainsail. The diffrence is: the gennaker has no mast in front of it.

Your sailmaker is right.
Blake 370
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>