myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to meet ISAF Ocean category 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to meet ISAF Ocean category 2
    Posted: 16 April 2009 at 13:38
I am thinking about entering a race that is arranged under ISAF Ocean category 2. Has anyone done the changes needed to the 430 to meet this category? What changes are necessary?

/Jørgen Adam Holen
/Jørgen Adam Holen

wherever you go, there you are.
"firefly" 430e 2008
Railbait View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 15:17
I have been a scrutinizer for a race in Ocean Category  2 and most of the changes you will need to make are mainly safety items such as having wooden bungs next to each through hull fitting, enough flares and a proper life raft. The biggest issue will probably be having a good system to attach your trysail to the mast without removing the mainsail and a system of steering the boat if your rudder brakes. After inspecting 30 boats I haven't seen a good system for that yet but have heard some good storys about  spi poles and floorboards!

Have a good read through the requirements which can be downloaded from the ISAF web site. http://www.rolexmiddlesearace.com/database/documents/RMSR2008%20OSR%20%20Declaration+Checklist.pdf will be a big help too.  Good Luck!
Adam View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 09:28
Railbait: Thank you, the spi pole floorboard/closet door seems like a good idea, but will most lightly not withstand the forces, and fail. The only working solution to my knowledge is using a small parachute anchor connected to lines to each side of the boat.

I had not seen that checklist before, very useful.

I will come back with a list of all changes I did when I have gotten a bit further.
/Jørgen Adam Holen

"firefly" 430e 2008
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 09:44
Hi,
IMHO to be able to use the spi pole/cabinet door solution, one must have prepaired for it (and not wait until he stays without a rudder):
1)decide which cabinet door you will use and replace it with one made of double thickness plywood.
2)design, construct and test the brackets that will be used to attach the door to the pole. This can be in the form of truck fixing belts (with a ratchet mechanism to tension them) or steel plates screwd on the door and holding to the pole by collars.
3)design ,build and test the method of keeping the pole to the transom. Ropes or belts can be used.
4)find a way to move the pole. Keeping it with hands will not work, since the pole is big and cold. Usualy ropes attached to the winches are used.
4)test the result in water.

All the above stuff (besides the door) fits in a small box!
I have seen it on a friends boat who crosses the Atlantic four times a year.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
Adam View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 20:10
There are three things you will have to modify on the boat, and loads of equipment to buy.

The modifications are:
* A way to hoist and sheet the storm sails.
* Extra bilge pump.
* Extra navigation lanterns (i.e. tricolor) with separate wiring and power source.

The self tackler is actually within the measurements of a hard wind sail (calculate your self to be sure).

/Jørgen Adam Holen
/Jørgen Adam Holen

"firefly" 430e 2008
 Post Reply Post Reply