myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is best Genoa size between 108-115% ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2019 at 11:40
Hello

I'm realy surprised 

I have the small selftacking jib and my original main

I see that you can keep full sail + a full size genoa with 18/19Kn real

I have to take my first reef as from of 15Kn REAL if I want to sail close to the wind
The second as from 20

I'm not talking with apparent as apparent depends on the real speed. You can have 17 AWS with 13Kn TWS if you sail fast and VV

If I do not reef so soon, M'Enfin gets regularly out of control even the main sail traveler and the back stay stiffed at his max

The first thing I see to this would be that my main sail would look as shopping bag and should be changed

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

How old are your main sails?

Thanks

Camille

Not only those who wander are lost

I've learn that the best way to learn about people is to sail with them
Speedy Nice View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:53
Hi Camille,
I was saying constant 18-19 knots of apparent wind that means 14-15 Knots of true wind.
Above that I will take one reef on main just to maintain comfort.
Only above 20-25 Knots of true wind upwind I feel the need of a second reef on the main sail and probably I'm using already the self tacking Jib to avoid furl the genoa. Standard 312 furler don't seems strong enough for high winds.
My main and jib are North Sails from 2005 and the genoa from 2010. Only the genoa needs to be renewed.
Happy New Year
José
José Pires
Ta'I Miti 2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 11:00
Hello José

Then, looks like me but the main difference is that I do not have a 140% genoa and that when I star reefing I have a smal jib. 
I wonder how you can keep a much larger front sail in the same wind

I already sailed in 38Kn with the standard furler and jib partially rolled and never had any problem; but on rather flat water

This said, I really wonder what would happen if I ever sail in real bad wind and high waves

Speedy Nice View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 11:20
The 312 handles very well a 140% genoa. When reefing start with the main sail and not with the head sail. The boat will be well balanced and easy to steer.
José Pires
Ta'I Miti 2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 11:21
Pitty you're in Portugal

I had like to sail with you

AHAHAHAHAHHA

Kagerbaek View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kagerbaek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 21:15
Hello Camilla

What size of genua did you end up buying?

We have just bought our 312, with the expectation to buy
a genua too, for light wind crusing 

Best regards
Kasper

perry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 10:39
Ok please dont be upset with my observations. I qualify my sailing knowledge buy 50 yrs racing and cruising.
To win races, first thing is to recognise the most important single thing is the nut that holds the tiller [or wheel in your 315].
When the wind goes F4 and above the skill to guide the yacht through waves and keep optimum drive in the sales rests with the helmsman/woman.
I expect you know this,  the wind does not blow in straight lines at a consant velocity, change in velocity is the same as change in direction up and down the height of sail. And its a moving feast for the skill helmsperson!.
The skilled helmsperson will guide his boat to optimise drive in the direction intended. Being wave  aware, and always checking seat of pants for the optimum angle of heel, keeping hull drag minimised
F4 and above a Blade jib and correct trim of main and traveller are king. If your blade jib needs closer sheeting angle get some genoa track and a drill and bolt it to the deck where needed, put stress spreading plates underneath through bolt with nuts.

Polar diagrams are funamentally theoretical speeds because measured under sterile conditions. Put  into real world racing scene with waves and other yachts around, its the helm and crew that matter 108 or 115% overlap?? 
Current Yacht Hanse 315 2007
Last Yacht Hanse 301 Round GB in 2017
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123