myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Isotemp water heather without thermostate mixer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isotemp water heather without thermostate mixer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Isotemp water heather without thermostate mixer
    Posted: 06 March 2010 at 19:40
Hi!
Today, at the Stockholm boat fair, I realised that we dont have any thermostate mixer on the water heather. Is this only missing in our boat or is this something that Hanse just did not buy at all?

The purpose of the mixer is to regulate the temperature of the outgoing hot water from the heather I was told.

Marco
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

www.wesailhanse.se big wheel, deep draught iron keel, 3 cabins,Yanmar 3JH4E, Sparcraft rig.
MasterKeil View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterKeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 03:16
There should be a small thermostat directly attachached to the boiler. There is also a screw to adjust the temperature. The problem is, that if you motor for a longer time, then an overpressure valve also directly attachached to the boiler opens and releases water into the chamber where the boiler is located. Therefore you always should shut off the water pump and open a water tap when motoring. I will assemble a tube from the overpressure valve to a tube going overboard to avoid this.
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 09:13
The thermostate is not Standart on Hanse boats. You have to buy it on the aftermarket
Blake 370
MasterKeil View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterKeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 11:07
It was standard on my Hanse 370#640. But this thermostate works only with the electric heating of the water. If the water is heated by the engine, then it is heated continuously without a thermostate.
shaukaas View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaukaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:49
Originally posted by MasterKeil MasterKeil wrote:

It was standard on my Hanse 370#640. But this thermostate works only with the electric heating of the water. If the water is heated by the engine, then it is heated continuously without a thermostate.

I assume that the coolant temperature within the diesel engine never exceeds 80 degrees Celsius? As the engine is seawater cooled through the heat exchanger, and everything is functioning as normal, the temperature within the boiler would never exceed this temperature?

My 320#171 had a "cheap" version of the Isotherm 22l slim installed, with a non-acid proof tank and without the thermostat mixer. It is not possible to buy this cheap "bastard" here in Norway, as the importer does not have it in their assortment...

Since this winter was way colder than last year, my 1800W "coupe heater" was not powerful enough to keep the interior of the boat above the freezing point - the boiler bursted... Dead To be replaced soon, with a "proper" one. Smile
S/Y Nadun - Hanse 320#171

LG3600 - NOR13510

MarcoC View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 14:37
I went back to the boat show today and talked with Isotemps sales rep. He told that the thermsotate mixer is not standard in newer boats. Mr Schmidt did not accept that it would cost 30 EUR more to include it. Now I have to pay 90 EUR to get it plus cost for a plummer if I cant fix it my self.
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

www.wesailhanse.se big wheel, deep draught iron keel, 3 cabins,Yanmar 3JH4E, Sparcraft rig.
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 18:36
Hello,
As a plumber and 370 owner here are my thoughts.
The Hanse instalation has thermostat on electric but not on engine heating.
The water can be very hot after a period of engine running, on the plus side you can cook tea and boil the kettle quicker, on the down side you could scold yourself on water. If I regularly had very young or old people on board I would install a mixer after the hot tank to mix cold water with the hot water, thus removing the risk of accident. This is what we have to do on commercial instalations in the UK.
The parts are at the price you have said; in the UK the problem is the pipe size that Hanse use, not a standard,we use 15mm and the pipes on a Hanse are 16mm, so fittings to adapt the instalation are a pain; but available through suppliers of hydraulic fittings.
Happy to install anywhere in the world £25.00 per hour plus travel ( I think my 370 costs about £ 1.00 per mile to run and we avarage 5.5 knots, so a 550 mile around trip comes out at £ 3050 , call it £ 3000.00 for cash)
Simon

Swanned off
Balticcruiser View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balticcruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 18:37
Marco, do you have the stainless Isotemp or the cheap version?
The stainless has a stainless cover, the cheap is white.

/Balti
MarcoC View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 19:46
I have the cheap one but it is grey, not white. Manufactured 2008-06-14.
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

Balticcruiser View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balticcruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 09:12
I detect some mix of topics here...

The thermostat mixer valve Marco refers to has only, as correctly mentioned, the function of mixing hot water from the Isotemp heater with cold water. This will reduce the risk of having an accident caused by too hot tap water but also increase the total volume of hot water available. This is possible since less hot water will be taken from the heater and more cold mixed in if the temperature is high in the heater than the seleted mixing temperature.

The electric heating element must always have a termostate to control that it's not over heating, this function is always installed. To control the heating when running the engine is normally not necessary since heater temperatur will never exceed the engine temperature of roughly 80 degree C.

Still, the thermostate mixer valve is a sensible thing to have since tap water can be very hot both from electric and engine heating. It's a pitty that Mr Schmidt can't fit a high quality heater such as the stainless Isotemp with the standard mixer valve in Hanse boats.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>